Clubs: Real Zaragoza, Villarreal CF
• Zaragoza-born, Cani (real name Rubén Gracia Calmache) played for the B team at his home-twon club before making his senior debut in the Liga against FC Barcelona in the final game of 2001/02 season, which ended in relegation.
• Played a prominent role in helping Zaragoza win immediate promotion back to top flight and spent the next three seasons proving his worth in the Liga, making 96 appearances and scoring eight goals; won the Copa del Rey in 2004 but was sent off in the final against Real Madrid CF (3-2).
• Joined Villarreal for €11m in 2006 and took the No10 shirt; made 35 appearances, scoring four goals, in his debut campaign, his first goal coming in a 3-2 home win against − of all teams − Zaragoza.
• Often a substitute in 2007/08 as Manuel Pellegrini's side finished runners-up to Madrid; made his UEFA Champions League debut in a 0-0 draw with Manchester United FC at Old Trafford in September 2008.
• Scored a career-best tally of six league goals in 2008/09 − including one apiece against Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia CF and Club Atlético de Madrid − prompting more regular appearances under Pellegrini's successors, Ernesto Valverde and Juan Carlos Garrido, in the following two campaigns.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|