Nickname: The Hoops
UEFA club competition honours (runners-up in brackets)
Domestic honours (most recent triumph in brackets)
• League title: 16 (2010)
• Irish Cup: 24 (1987)
• Formed in a Dublin suburb in 1901 with the name Shamrock Rovers FC picked after the second meeting of the club's committee was held in a private house on a street called Shamrock Avenue; in 1922 Rovers entered senior football in the newly-independent Irish Free State, landing the league title a year later.
• Nicknamed Coad's Colts in honour of player-manager Paddy Coad, Rovers won five major trophies in a glorious period from 1954 to 1959 and also played Manchester United FC in the European Champion Clubs' Cup just months before many of the Busby Babes tragically perished in the Munich air disaster.
• Rovers assembled one of the best sides in the club's history in the 1960s and won the Irish Cup for six successive seasons but managed just one league title in that time as Waterford FC battled with the Hoops for domestic supremacy.
• After a failed experiment with full-time professional football in the 1977/78 under former Leeds United AFC midfielder John Giles, Rovers dominated Irish football by winning four successive league titles between 1984 and 1987, but the sale and demolition of their Glenmalure Park stadium in 1987 sent Rovers into decline and the Hoops spent two decades without a home, winning only one trophy – the league title in 1994.
• In 2009, Rovers finally found a permanent home with the move to the Tallaght Stadium; the Hoops promtly ended their long trophy famine by winning the 2010 Premier Division title, beating local rivals Bohemian FC on goal difference.
Most appearances: Derek Tracey (486)
Most goals: Paddy Ambrose (109)
Record victory: Shamrock Rovers FC 11-0 Bray Unknowns FC (League of Ireland, 28 October 1928)
Record defeat: St James Gate FC 7-0 Shamrock Rovers FC (League of Ireland, 22 April 1937)
Last updated 31 December 2010
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 31/10/2015 10:11 CET|
|St Patrick's||2-1||Shamrock Rovers|
|Referee: not available|
|Referee: Zaven Hovhannisyan (ARM) – Stadium: Stade Municipal de Differdange, Differdange (LUX)|
|Aggregate: 3-0||(agg: 3-0)|
|Referee: Dominik Ouschan (AUT) – Stadium: Tallaght Stadium, Dublin (IRL)|
|Referee: Alain Bieri (SUI) – Stadium: Tallaght Stadium, Dublin (IRL)|
|Aggregate: 4-1||(agg: 4-1)|
|Referee: Marius Avram (ROU) – Stadium: Odd, Skien (NOR)|