Nickname: Tatarstantsi (The Tatarstan Side)
UEFA club competition honours
Domestic honours (most recent triumph in brackets)
• League title: 2 (2009)
• Russian Cup: 1 (2012)
• For a club founded under the name Iskra (Spark), it took Rubin almost half a century to find theirs. Having never featured in the Soviet Top League, they finally joined the upper echelons of Russian football in 2003 and set about making up for lost time with a third-place Premier-Liga finish in their first campaign.
• Four solid enough seasons followed, before Rubin marked their 50th anniversary by coming from nowhere to win their first Russian title in 2008. With veterans Savo Milošević, Serhiy Rebrov and Sergei Semak influential, the Tatarstantsi never looked back after starting the campaign with seven successive victories.
• Knocked out in the round of 512 in 1996, Rubin were denied a maiden Russian Cup victory by PFC CSKA Moskva in 2009, losing 1-0 in the final.
• That would have secured a domestic double for Kurban Berdyev's side, as they went on to defend their league title by an eight-point margin. That season they won more games than any other Premier-Liga side, lost the fewest, scored the most goals and conceded the least.
• Having failed to progress beyond the UEFA Cup second qualifying round in their first two forays into European competition, Rubin made an impression on their UEFA Champions League debut in 2009/10. Berdyev's side took four points off holders FC Barcelona, including a 2-1 win at Camp Nou, as they finished third in their group, a feat they repeated in 2010/11.
* Last updated 22 January 2014
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 06/07/2016 11:19 CET|
|Referee: not available|
13 August 2016 13 Aug - Russian Premier League
22 October 2016 22 Oct - Russian Premier League
3 December 2016 03 Dec - Russian Premier League
26 April 2017 26 Apr - Russian Premier League