FC Internazionale Milano have signed Diego Forlán from Club Atlético de Madrid for a reported €5m to fill the void created by Samuel Eto'o's recent move to FC Anzhi Makhachkala.
Forlán has agreed a two-year contract with the Nerazzurri and will give a press conference on Thursday. "At 32 years of age, going to a club like Inter isn't an opportunity that comes around for a lot of players. I am happy with the decision I have made," said Forlán, who scored 96 goals in 196 appearances in all competitions for the Rojiblancos.
"I leave Atlético with fantastic memories like qualifying for the [2008/09] UEFA Champions League against Schalke and winning the UEFA Europa League; also, winning the [ESM] Golden Shoe and reaching the final of the 2010 Copa del Rey, which unfortunately we lost."
Previously of CA Independiente and Manchester United FC, Forlán joined Atlético in 2007 from Villarreal CF and notched the extra-time winner as one of his two goals in the 2010 UEFA Europa League final against Fulham FC.
Having subsequently starred in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, where he was awarded the FIFA Golden Ball in Uruguay's semi-final run, the striker enjoyed further success this summer by scoring twice in the Copa América decider as the Celeste defeated Paraguay 3-0. In total, he spent four seasons with Atlético after three at Villarreal.
Competing with Forlan for a place up front will be Mauro Zárate. The 24-year-old has moved to San Siro on a season-long loan from domestic rivals S.S. Lazio, who will receive €15m should the Beneamata make the transfer permanent next summer. "I have to prove myself now, Inter was my first choice," said the former CA Vélez Sársfield, Al-Sadd Club and Birmingham City FC player.
Inter have also reached an agreement with Serie B side UC Sampdoria to sign midfielder Andrea Poli on loan with an option to make the deal a permanent one until 2016 at the end of the campaign. "There are so many great players I can learn from here. I'm really looking forward to starting work with my new team," said the 21-year-old.
Furthermore, the Nerazzurri have signed a co-ownership deal with Genoa CFC for the services of Slovakian international Juraj Kucka, though the 24-year-old will for now keep playing for the Rossoblu. His contract with Inter runs until June 2016.
Going the other way are two defenders: Davide Santon, who has joined Newcastle United FC, and Nelson Rivas following the cancellation of his contract which was due to expire next June. Inter were last week drawn against PFC CSKA Moskva, LOSC Lille Métropole and Trabzonspor AŞ in UEFA Champions League Group B.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.