Twelve teams are through from the UEFA Champions League group stage and nine sides compete for the remaining four berths in the 16 December round of 16 draw on Wednesday. UEFA.com looks at the permutations for what will be some thrilling deciders.
Group winners FC Bayern München, FC Internazionale Milano, Real Madrid CF, Chelsea FC, Arsenal FC, APOEL FC and holders FC Barcelona plus fellow qualifiers SL Benfica, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Olympique de Marseille, FC Zenit St Petersburg and AC Milan are already confirmed in the knockout phase. Eight clubs will transfer to the UEFA Europa League round of 32 for finishing third in their sections. UEFA.com looks at the permutations for the last set of fixtures; full details of how tied teams will be split can be found in article 7.07 of the official regulations.
• Bayern have clinched the group and Villarreal will finish fourth.
• Napoli, in second, are a point above City. To overtake the Italian team, City must win against Bayern and hope Villarreal avoid defeat.
• Inter have topped the group yet a single point separates the other three sides, with Trabzonspor a point clear of Lille and CSKA.
• Lille or Trabzonspor will end up second should they win their encounter in France.
• If that match is drawn, CSKA can pip Trabzonspor to the runners-up spot with victory in Milan. If CSKA do not triumph in those circumstances, Trabzonspor would go through on seven points, the joint-lowest tally since it became three for a win.
• CSKA will come fourth if they lose; however, a draw will give them third place unless the other game also finishes level.
• Benfica, level with United and a point ahead of Basel but boasting a superior head-to-head against both clubs, are through. They will seal pole position with a success against Oţelul, who will be fourth regardless of their result.
• The encounter in Switzerland will decide the other qualifying place with Basel requiring a victory to overtake United, who last missed the knockout phase in 2005/06. If Benfica do not win, Basel or United will claim top spot with a victory.
• Madrid have won the section to make it past the group stage for a record 15th year running. Three points in Amsterdam will make them only the fifth team to register a perfect record in a UEFA Champions League group, and the first since Barcelona in 2002/03. None of the previous four have gone on to lift the trophy.
• With Dinamo finishing fourth, second and third positions are between Ajax and Lyon. Ajax are three points ahead and have a goal difference advantage of seven having drawn both games against Lyon 0-0. Therefore Lyon must win, hope Ajax lose, and overhaul their goal difference.
Winners: Chelsea FC
Runners-up: Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To Europa League: Valencia CF
Winners: Arsenal FC
Runners-up: Olympique de Marseille
To Europa League: Olympiacos FC
Winners: APOEL FC
Runners-up: FC Zenit St Petersburg
To Europa League: FC Porto
Winners: FC Barcelona
Runners-up: AC Milan
To Europa League: FC Vikoria Plzeň
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.