UEFA Champions League statistics
• Fraser Forster, Emilio Izaguirre, Charlie Mulgrew and Scott Brown each played all 360 minutes of qualifying.
• Celtic have lost only one of their 18 home fixtures in the UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Seven Celtic players were on duty during the international break: James Forrest (Scotland), Giorgos Samaras (Greece), Adam Matthews (Wales), Mikael Lustig (Sweden), Efe Ambrose (Nigeria), Nicolás Fedor (Venezuela) and Izaguirre (Honduras).
• Samaras came off the bench as Greece came from behind to win 2-1 against Latvia in their opening 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier on 7 September. He was forced off with an elbow injury, however, and missed the victory against Lithuania four days later.
• Forrest made his first competitive start as Scotland drew 1-1 in qualifying at home to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia on 11 September.
• Thomas Rogne and Tony Watt were on U21 duty, with Rogne featuring against Belgium (3-1 win) and England (1-0 loss) as Norway qualified for the UEFA European Under-21 Championship play-offs.
• Brown (hip), Joe Ledley (groin), Beram Kayal (ankle), Mulgrew (Achilles) and Paddy McCourt (groin) sat out international duty with injuries.
Fraser Forster (Newcastle United FC)
Efe Ambrose (FC Ashdod)
Lassad Nouioui (free agent)
Nicolás Fedor (Getafe CF, loan)
Luboš Kamenár (FC Nantes, loan)*
*not in UEFA Champions League squad
Ki Sung-Yueng (Swansea City AFC)
Mark Wilson (Bristol City FC)
Mohamed Bangura (AIK Solna, loan)
Andre Blackman (Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC, loan)
Greig Spence (Raith Rovers FC, loan)
James Keatings (Hamilton Academical FC, loan)
Glenn Loovens (Real Zaragoza)
Niall McGinn (Aberdeen FC)
Morten Rasmussen (FC Midtjylland)
Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town FC)
Cha Du-Ri (Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895)
Efraín Juárez (CF América)
Darren O'Dea (released)
Richard Towell (released)
Dominic Cervi (released)
• With eight points from their opening five fixtures, this is Celtic's worst start to a league season since 1998/99.
• Samaras is out of the Benfica match with an elbow injury suffered playing for Greece on 7 September.
• Dylan McGeouch is out with a broken jaw sustained in a 2-0 friendly loss to Real Madrid CF on 11 August.
UEFA Champions League statistics
• Maxi Pereira is suspended following his red card in last season's quarter-final second leg against Chelsea FC. Luisão has been banned until 14 November after being sent off in a friendly against Fortuna Düsseldorf in August.
• Benfica are embarking on a record-equalling third successive group stage campaign.
• Five Benfica players were on duty during the recent 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers: Ezequiel Garay, Enzo Pérez (Argentina), Maxi Pereira (Uruguay), Nemanja Matić (Serbia) and Óscar Cardozo (Paraguay).
• Garay and second-half replacement Cardozo went head to head on 7 September as Argentina beat Paraguay 3-1. Pérez was an unused substitute.
• Carlos Martins was also called up by Portugal but was forced to withdraw because of a right thigh injury.
• Rodrigo was in action on 6 September as Spain booked a place in the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship play-offs courtesy of a goalless draw against Switzerland.
Ola John (FC Twente)
Eduardo Salvio (Club Atlético de Madrid)
Lima (SC Braga)
Paulo Lopes (CD Feirense)
Luisinho (FC Paços de Ferreira)
Axel Witsel (FC Zenit St Petersburg)
Javi García (Manchester City FC)
Javier Saviola (Málaga CF)
Emerson (Trabzonspor AŞ)
Joan Capdevila (RCD Espanyol)
Yannick Djaló (Toulouse FC, loan)
Nélson Oliveira (RC Deportivo La Coruña, loan)
• Martins returned this summer after spending last season on loan at Granada CF and signed a new deal on 3 August, tying him to the club until June 2016.
• Rodrigo agreed a four-year contract extension on 23 August, tying him to the club until summer 2019. He has a €45m release clause.
• Benfica kicked off their Liga campaign with a 2-2 draw against SC Braga – it is now nine seasons since the Eagles won their league opener, in 2004/05.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.