Real Madrid CF's Marcelo says he will do everything in his power to return to action as quickly as possible after the full-back broke the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot on international duty with Brazil.
An integral part of José Mourinho's side, the 24-year-old suffered the injury during a training session ahead of his country's friendly against Japan in Wroclaw. Although his club failed to give an estimated time of recovery, it is reported that Marcelo will be sidelined until January, which would rule him out of the rest of Madrid's UEFA Champions League group stage campaign.
"These things happen and you have to lift your head and get on with it," the left-sided defender said. "I was a bit down yesterday but when I saw my son and my wife I felt a lot better. All I want to do now is work as hard as possible to get back playing."
The nine-time European champions – who, so far, have beaten Manchester City FC and AFC Ajax in UEFA Champions League Group D – could receive more bad news ahead of the trip to Borussia Dortmund on 24 October. Left-back Fábio Coentrão is due for tests on a badly strained abductor muscle sustained during Portugal's 1-0 FIFA World Cup qualifying defeat in Russia on Friday.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.