The official website for European football

Ancelotti reveals attacking plan for Madrid

Published: Wednesday 26 June 2013, 15.21CET
With his first words as Real Madrid CF's new boss, Carlo Ancelotti explained that he saw no problem in attempting to win "playing spectacular football" at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Ancelotti reveals attacking plan for Madrid
Carlo Ancelotti is presented as Real Madrid's new coach ©Getty Images
 
 
 
Published: Wednesday 26 June 2013, 15.21CET

Ancelotti reveals attacking plan for Madrid

With his first words as Real Madrid CF's new boss, Carlo Ancelotti explained that he saw no problem in attempting to win "playing spectacular football" at the Santiago Bernabéu.

Speaking at his presentation as Real Madrid CF coach, Carlo Ancelotti said taking charge of the nine-time European champions was the realisation of a dream. 

The 54-year-old – confirmed as José Mourinho's successor yesterday – visited Madrid's training complex at Valdebebas upon arrival in the Spanish capital and told a press conference: "We will be working in fantastic conditions, everything we need is here. It's a dream come true – Madrid represent so much in the history of football."

Ancelotti will have a three-year contract with the Merengues, having last month led Paris Saint-Germain FC to their first Ligue 1 title in 19 years. A European Cup winner with AC Milan on four occasions – twice as both player and coach – the former Italian international said that attempting to extend Madrid's glorious record in European club football's elite competition represented a unique challenge. 

"This tenth European Cup – La Décima – is a great aim for everyone connected with the club and I am ambitious and responsible enough [to try to deliver it]. Knowing I could possibly help [in winning it] is a great motivation," he went on.

Asked about his preferred style of play, the ex-Chelsea FC, Juventus, Parma FC and AC Reggiana 1919 tactician replied: "The objective is clear – the most prestigious club in the world want to win by playing spectacular football. The tradition at this club is one of attacking play and with the quality available it won't be difficult to instil that. We are going to work hard to produce a brand of football that will please the fans."

On hand throughout the Italian's presentation was Madrid and France great Zinédine Zidane, who played under Ancelotti at Juventus and continued to work with the Merengues after his playing days ended. Of the three-time FIFA World Player of the Year's new role at Madrid, Ancelotti explained: "[Zidane] has decided to become a coach and he will be a great assistant alongside my regular assistant Paul Clement. He will be on the bench. Zidane was a great player and the problem for me will be that he won't be able to play."

Madrid president Florentino Pérez had begun proceedings by labelling Ancelotti's appointment the "beginning of a new era". He added: "Carlo has experience of the biggest leagues and knows how to manage dressing rooms at the highest level. Years ago I told you, Carlo, that one day you would be my coach here. That day has come. Welcome to the Santiago Bernabéu."

Last updated: 26/06/13 16.16CET

Related information

Coach profiles
Team profiles

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1967308.html#ancelotti+reveals+attacking+plan+madrid

  • © 1998-2014 UEFA. All rights reserved.
  • The CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE words, the UEFA Champions League logo and trophy and the UEFA Champions League Final logos are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of UEFA. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such trade marks. Use of UEFA.com signifies your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.