UEFA milestones and competition statistics
• Atlético have conceded 249 goals in UEFA competition.
• Atlético's last UEFA Champions League campaign – in 2009/10 – saw them eliminated at the group stage. They finished third, transferring to the inaugural UEFA Europa League which they subsequently won.
• Diego Costa begins a two-match ban following his red card against FC Viktoria Plzeň on matchday six of last season's UEFA Europa League.
• In: David Villa (FC Barcelona), Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea FC, loan), Léo Baptistão (Rayo Vallecano de Madrid), José María Giménez (Danubio FC), Daniel Aranzubia (RC Deportivo la Coruña), Toby Alderweireld (AFC Ajax), Joshua Guilavogui (AS Saint-Étienne).
• Out: Falcao (AS Monaco FC), Sílvio (SL Benfica, loan), Cata Díaz (CA Boca Juniors), Joel (Everton FC), Sergio Asenjo (Villarreal CF, loan), Jorge Pulido (Real Madrid CF), Roberto (Olympiacos FC, loan), Martín Demichelis (Manchester City FC), Saúl Ñíguez (Rayo Vallecano de Madrid, loan), Rubén Pérez (Elche FC, loan), Pizzi (SL Benfica).
• Ten Atlético players were on senior duty during the international break: Villa, Koke, Marío Suárez (Spain), Arda Turan (Turkey), Joshua Guilavogui (France), Courtois, Alderweireld (Belgium), Diego Godín, Cristian Rodríguez and Giménez (Uruguay).
• Arda netted his 13th goal for Turkey in their 5-0 FIFA World Cup qualifying home win against Andorra on 6 September when Koke and Marío Suárez made their competitive debuts for Spain in a 2-0 victory in Finland.
• Koke was in the Spain side that won the UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Israel this summer.
• Filipe Luis enjoyed FIFA Confederations Cup glory with Brazil in June, defeating Spain 3-0 in the final.
• Atlético won 4-2 at home to UD Almería on Saturday to extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to nine games, six of them this season.
• Atlético conceded the fewest goals in Liga last term with Courtois – now in his third season on loan from Chelsea – winning the Zamora Trophy, awarded to the goalkeeper with the lowest goals-to-game ratio. He played his 100th game for Atlético in the Spanish Super Cup first leg against FC Barcelona on 21 August – the Madrid side lost on away goals.
• Atlético's third-placed Liga finish last season was their highest in the Spanish top flight, and their highest points tally (76), since their 1995/96 title triumph. Los Rojiblancos also lifted the Copa del Rey for the first time since that 1995/96 double-winning season, defeating Real Madrid CF 2-1 in extra-time at the Santiago Bernabéu in May's final.
UEFA milestones and competition statistics
• Last season Zenit kicked off their group stage with back-to-back defeats at Málaga CF (3-0) and at home to AC Milan (3-2).
• In: Yuri Lodygin (Skoda Xanthi FC), Andrey Arshavin (Arsenal FC), Anatoliy Tymoshchuk (FC Bayern München), Cristian Ansaldi (FC Rubin Kazan), Igor Smolnikov (FC Krasnodar), Oleg Shatov (FC Anji Makhachkala), Ivan Solovyev (FC Dinamo Moskva).
• Out: Bruno Alves (Fenerbahçe SK), Igor Denisov (FC Anji Makhachkala), Luka Djordjević (FC Twente, loan), Milan Rodić (FC Volga Nizhny Novgorod, loan), Sergei Semak (retired).
• Fourteen Zenit players were called up for international duty during the September international break: Aleksandr Anyukov, Roman Shirokov, Viktor Fayzulin, Vladimir Bystrov, Oleg Shatov, Aleksandr Kerzhakov (Russia), Luís Neto, Danny (Portugal), Nicolas Lombaerts, Axel Witsel (Belguim), Tomáš Hubočan (Slovakia), Cristian Ansaldi (Argentina), Anatoliy Tymoshchuk (Ukraine) and Hulk (Brazil).
• Kerzhakov scored in Russia's 4-1 qualifying win against Luxembourg on 6 September; Shirokov had a penalty saved in the 3-1 victory over Israel four days later.
• Danny and Hulk did not feature because of injuries, while Lombaerts picked up an ankle knock in Belgium's 2-0 victory over Scotland on 6 September.
• Egor Baburin, Ilya Zuev, Pavel Mogilevets and Ivan Solovyev were in Russia's Under-21 squad, Mogilevets and Baburin making their debuts in a 2-1 victory against Slovenia on 6 September.
• Zenit are ten matches unbeaten in all competitions, winning eight, and have scored in each of their last 12 outings.
• Danny has scored eight goals in all competitions this season, already double his 2012/13 tally.
• Domenico Criscito returned to training on 10 September as he steps up his recovery from a knee ligament injury suffered in February.
• Goalkeeper Lodygin was Zenit's player of the month in August.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.