Cristiano Ronaldo has committed his future to Real Madrid CF by agreeing terms on a three-year contract extension that ties him to the Santiago Bernabéu until June 2018.
Currently in his fifth season at the Merengues since completing what was then a world-record €94m move from Manchester United FC in 2009, the 28-year-old's previous agreement with the Spanish giants was due to expire in the summer of 2015.
Speaking at a press conference to announce the deal, Ronaldo said, "This is a very special day for me and I am extremely happy. I am grateful to the president [of this club] and to the fans who have always been there for me. It could well be that I'll be here until the end of my career and that says it all. It's a privilege and this moment feels like the first day I arrived. I am going to continue working hard and giving everything that I have for this team."
Meanwhile, club president Florentino Pérez, added, "Ronaldo has scored 204 goals in 203 games for Real Madrid; an incomparable figure. However, he still has many more to score and many more titles to win here. [Former Real Madrid president] Santiago Bernabéu taught us that we had to have the best players at this club and in Cristiano Ronaldo we have the best."
The former Sporting Clube de Portugal winger first helped the Merengues to Copa del Rey glory in 2011 by scoring the winner against FC Barcelona in the final. The following campaign, he scored 46 Liga goals in 38 outings as Madrid won a 32nd Spanish title.
A UEFA Champions League winner with United in 2008, Ronaldo – whose first hat-trick for Portugal last week took him past Eusébio in his country's all-time goalscoring rankings – will be eager to help Madrid better their recent UEFA Champions League record of three successive semi-final appearances when they begin their group stage campaign away to Galatasaray AŞ on Tuesday.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.