Arsenal face familiar opposition in Group F in the shape of Bayern München and, for the fourth time in seven seasons, Olympiacos, with Dinamo Zagreb also in the mix.
Article top media content
Group F pedigree
Bayern München (GER) – Pot 1
Previous group stage campaigns: 18 (last appearance: 2014/15)
Last season: UEFA Champions League semi-finals
Best European Cup performance: winners (1973/74, 1974/75, 1975/56, 2000/01, 2012/13)
Arsenal (ENG) – Pot 2
Previous group stage campaigns: 17 (last appearance: 2014/15)
Last season: UEFA Champions League round of 16
Best European Cup performance: runners-up (2005/06)
Olympiacos (GRE) – Pot 3
Previous group stage campaigns: 16 (last appearance: 2014/15)
Last season: UEFA Champions League group stage/UEFA Europa League round of 32
Best European Cup performance: quarter-finals (1998/99)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) – Pot 4
Previous group stage campaigns: 4 (last appearance: 2012/13)
Last season: UEFA Champions League third qualifying round/UEFA Europa League group stage
Best European Cup performance: group stage (1998/99, 1999/2000, 2011/12, 2012/13)
Matchday one fixtures (Wednesday 16 September)
Dinamo Zagreb v Arsenal
Olympiacos v Bayern
Key group facts
- Bayern beat Arsenal in the round of 16 in 2012/13 and 2013/14, winning the first leg in north London on each occasion. Thomas Müller was on target in Bayern's 3-1 victory at the Arsenal Stadium in February 2013, the eventual champions progressing despite a 2-0 home loss in which Olivier Giroud and Laurent Koscielny got the Arsenal goals. Twelve months later, Müller struck again in Bayern's 2-0 away success that preceded a 1-1 draw in Munich.
- Bayern also edged out Arsenal in the 2004/05 round of 16, surviving a 1-0 second-leg defeat at Highbury thanks to a 3-1 home win. The German club also posted a home victory (1-0) and away draw (2-2) against the Gunners in the 2000/01 second group stage.
- Bayern's sole meetings with Olympiacos came in the 1980/81 European Champion Clubs' Cup first round, a 4-2 triumph in Piraeus setting up Bayern's 7-2 aggregate success.
- Arsenal and Olympiacos are in the same group for the fourth time in seven seasons, having also been drawn together in 2009/10, 2011/12 and 2012/13. Each of the six preceding games has been won by the home team.
- Dinamo were beaten 5-1 on aggregate by Arsenal in the 2006/07 third qualifying round, crashing 3-0 at home and 2-1 away.
- Dinamo and Olympiacos have faced off in two previous ties, each winning one. Dinamo overturned a 3-1 away defeat in the 1977/78 UEFA Cup first round courtesy of a 5-1 second-leg triumph; Olympiacos took belated revenge in the 1998/99 UEFA Champions League group stage, collecting four points with a 2-0 home victory and 1-1 away draw.
Reaction to the draw
Philipp Lahm, Bayern captain
It's great that we are meeting two old friends, Per Mertesacker and Mesut Özil, when we play Arsenal. In Zagreb and Piraeus we will have away matches with a great atmosphere.
We've met some of these teams before...! Nevertheless, always exciting when the @ChampionsLeague groups get drawn— Aaron Ramsey (@aaronramsey) August 27, 2015
Dimitris Siovas, Olympiacos defender
We were drawn into a tough group, but we have proved in the past that we can respond to challenges. We are strong at home and we will try to make the most of it – that will be key. We have beaten Arsenal before and that is why we can dream of progress – we can snatch second place from them.