Four of the 16 places in the UEFA Champions League knockout phase have been clinched but still 26 of the other 29 clubs are in contention for the remaining 12 berths.
Article top media content
Three of the 16 places in the UEFA Champions League knockout phase have been clinched and still 27 of the other 29 clubs are in contention for the remaining 13 with two games to go. UEFA.com explains the permutations for the fifth matchday on 24/25 November.
- Qualified: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Barcelona, Zenit (group winners)
- Cannot finish in top two: Borussia Mönchengladbach, Maccabi Tel-Aviv
- State of play at a glance
- Full standings
All information in this article is subject to final confirmation from UEFA. These examples may not cover all potential situations.
- All kick-offs 20.45CET except BATE v Leverkusen and Zenit v Valencia (18.00)
- Barcelona are through after the early game was drawn and will win the group with a point.
- Roma will be through with victory otherwise BATE and Leverkusen will remain in contention on 9 December.
- A point would be enough for both Bayern and Olympiacos to reach the last 16.
- Bayern clinch first place with a win, as would Olympiacos if they win by a margin that would give them the head to head advantage over Bayern.
- Arsenal need to win and hope Olympiacos lose to have a chance of overtaking them for second when they visit on matchday six, having lost the home game 3-2. Arsenal cannot overtake Bayern.
- Dinamo need to win and hope Bayern lose to have a chance of overtaking them for second place when they meet in Zagreb on matchday six, having lost 5-0 in Munich. Dinamo cannot overtake Olympiacos.
- Dinamo will clinch at least third place with victory.
- Arsenal will clinch at least third place with a victory provided they win by a margin that gives them the head to head advantage over Dinamo, who beat the English side 2-1 on matchday one.
- Porto will qualify with a draw. They will clinch first place if they win and Chelsea do not or if Porto draw and the Blues lose.
- Chelsea will qualify if they win and Dynamo fail to gain victory.
- Maccabi cannot finish in the top two and to remain in contention for third place must win and hope Dynamo do not.
- Zenit have won the group.
- Gent will clinch a top-three finish and condemn Lyon to fourth if they win or get a draw that keeps them ahead on the head to head front.
- Lyon must win to stay in top-two contention.
- All kick-offs 20.45CET except Astana v Benfica (16.00) & CSKA v Wolfsburg (18.00)
- Madrid, already through, will win the group with victory, or if they draw and Paris do not win, or if they and Paris both lose.
- Paris will be through with a win, or with a draw if Shakhtar do not win.
- Malmö must win to remain in contention to finish in the top two.
- Shakhtar must win and hope Paris do not, or Shakhtar will stay in contention with a draw if Paris lose.
- United will be through if they win.
- CSKA will be out of contention for a top-two finish if they lose. If United also then lose, CSKA will be confirmed in fourth place.
- Benfica are through with a win, or a draw provided Atlético beat Galatasaray or that game finishes in a draw.
- If Benfica win and Atlético do not, Benfica clinch first place.
- Atlético are through with a draw.
- Victory is therefore the minimum requirement for Astana and Galatasaray to still have a chance of going through.
- If Astana lose or draw and Galatatasary win, Astana are confirmed in fourth place.
- City are through and will clinch first place with victory.
- Juventus qualify with a win, or with any result if Sevilla do not win.
- A win is the only way Sevilla will have any hope of still going through to the round of 16 when they host Juventus on 8 December, and it would guarantee them a place in the UEFA Europa League – the competition they have won for the last two years.
- Mönchengladbach, already out of the UEFA Champions League, will be confirmed in fourth place with defeat.
Standings are provisional until all matches have been played.