Who has the longest unbeaten home and away runs in UEFA Champions League history? And which team went 25 games without defeat between 2007 and 2009? UEFA.com has the answers.
Article top media content
Juventus face Olympiacos on Wednesday hoping to stretch their unbeaten home run in the UEFA Champions League to 20 matches – but they are still a little way short of the record and allowed one of the longer streaks to continue on matchday one.
Longest home unbeaten runs in UEFA Champions League
29 Bayern München 04/03/1998–02/04/2002
24 Arsenal 14/09/2004–15/04/2009
23 Manchester United 27/09/2005–03/11/2009
22 Barcelona 18/09/2013–12/09/2017*
21 Chelsea 12/09/2006 –08/12/2009, Barcelona 24/11/2009–10/04/2013, Real Madrid 27/09/2011–09/12/2014
- Bayern's record run took them to the 1999 final and 2001 title. Indeed, it was Bayern who inflicted Juve's last home UEFA Champions League reverse, 2-0 in a quarter-final second leg on 10 April 2013, the only time in this competition the Turin side have lost at their new stadium. Bayern also won 4-1 in Juve's last UEFA Champions League game at Stadio delle Alpi on 8 December 2009.
- The last time anyone other than Bayern won away at Juventus in this competition was when Deportivo La Coruña prevailed 1-0 in a round of 16 second leg on 9 March 2004.
- Barcelona are the only team with two separate 21-game unbeaten home runs in this competition, the 21st and 22nd matches of their current sequence both against Juve (0-0 on 19 April and 3-0 on 12 September).
Most successive games without a defeat in UEFA Champions League
25 Manchester United 19/09/2007–05/05/2009
19 Ajax 14/09/1994–20/03/1996, Bayern München 14/03/2001–02/04/2002
16 Barcelona 08/03/2011–03/04/2012, Manchester United 04/03/1998–29/09/1999 & 23/10/2001–23/10/2002
- Unsurprisingly, the longest unbeaten runs have generally yielded titles – United in 1999 and 2008, Ajax in 1995, Bayern in 2001 and Barcelona in 2011.
Most successive away games without a defeat in UEFA Champions League
16 Manchester United 19/09/2007–16/02/2010
14 Ajax 28/09/1994–19/03/1997
11 Barcelona 01/10/2008–31/03/2010, Real Madrid 28/09/2010–27/03/2012
10 Bayern München 23/10/2012–01/04/2014
- Runs do not include finals at neutral venues (eg Manchester United in 2008 or Ajax in 1995)
Longest run of consecutive wins in UEFA Champions League
10 Bayern München 02/04/2013–27/11/2013, Real Madrid 23/04/2014–18/02/2015
9 Barcelona 18/09/2002–18/02/2003 & 21/10/2014–06/05/2015
8 Borussia Dortmund 04/12/1996–01/10/1997
Longest run of consecutive home wins in UEFA Champions League
16 Bayern München 17/09/2014–15/02/2017
15 Barcelona 17/09/2014–08/03/2017
12 Manchester United 13/09/2006–29/04/2008
11 Real Madrid 03/04/2013–09/12/2014
10 Juventus 20/03/1996–10/12/1997
Longest run of consecutive away wins in UEFA Champions League
7 Ajax 22/11/1995–19/03/1997, Bayern München 19/02/2013–19/02/2014
6 Barcelona 12/04/2011–14/02/2012, Manchester United 15/04/2009–16/02/2010
5 Chelsea 16/09/2003– 06/04/2004, Real Madrid 29/04/2014–18/02/2015
- All statistics refer to group stage to final only (final counting as neither home nor away)