FC Spartak Moskva have failed to reach a settlement with contract rebel Dmitri Sytchev and will now seek to have him and his advisors heavily punished for their actions.
The 18-year-old Russian international striker left Spartak of his own will last week, after finding a loophole in Russian labour legislation. However, the striker, who has a contract with Spartak until 2006, is facing the threat of a ban for his actions.
Yesterday, Sytchev's representatives and Spartak officials seemed to have agreed a settlement which would have seen the player return to the club, with a news conference and the signing of a new contract scheduled for today. However, in a dramatic development, Sytchev failed to turn up at the last minute.
Agent walks away
His agent, Alexey Sokolov, said he would not be dealing with the player any more after the incident, while Spartak technical director Alexander Shikunov said: "Now we will definitely finish all business with Sytchev. We will not be chasing him. Now, his fate will be decided at a disciplinary committee meeting on 4 Spetember."
Disciplinary committee to meet
The commitee of the Football Union of Russia (RFS) will hear the case next Wednesday and Spartak will ask them to take further action against Sytchev and his advisors. "It is known that the RFS licensed agent Sergey Bazanov has played a certain part in prompting Sytchev to leave Spartak," an official club statement read. "Spartak will demand that the RFS punish Bazanov and stop him from dealing with football."
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.