The official website for European football

Sarajevo turn on the style

Published: Thursday 19 July 2007, 0.44CET
FK Sarajevo were the night's big winners in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League first qualifying round with Iceland's FH Hafnarfjördur also impressing. features

Greatest UEFA Champions League comebacks
  • Greatest UEFA Champions League comebacks
  • Europe's biggest second-leg comebacks
  • Heavyweight knockouts: when giants collide in last 16
  • UEFA Champions League round of 16 classics
  • Ronaldo's 100 Champions League goals: how, when, where
  • Ronaldo's 100: Ten of his greatest Champions League hits
  • John Terry to leave Chelsea: his memorable European moments
  • Four-time winner Seedorf one of a kind
  • Real Madrid's Germany hoodoo: four wins in 30
  • Great UEFA club competition two-legged comebacks
1 of 10
Published: Thursday 19 July 2007, 0.44CET

Sarajevo turn on the style

FK Sarajevo were the night's big winners in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League first qualifying round with Iceland's FH Hafnarfjördur also impressing.

FK Sarajevo were the night's big winners as the UEFA Champions League first qualifying round first legs concluded on Wednesday. The Bosnia-Herzegovnian champions scored six times away to Marsaxlokk FC to take one huge step towards the second qualifying round and they look likely to be joined there by FH Hafnarfjördur who hit four past HB Tórshavn. Elsewhere, though, there is still plenty to play for. rounds up the night's action.

Marsaxlokk FC 0-6 FK Sarajevo
Sarajevo look certain to play KRC Genk in the second qualifying round after an emphatic victory in Malta. The result appeared beyond doubt after only 20 minutes as a pair of goals from Admir Rašcic and another from Emir Obuća put Sarajevo firmly in control. Marko Maksimović added a fourth on 41 minutes and the Maltese champions would have been thankful for small mercies when a floodlight failure shortly before half-time briefly brought the game to a halt. With the lights back on Sarajevo resumed command. Obuća added his second of the game on 65 minutes before Malcolm Licari's own goal mercifully brought the curtain down on Marsaxlokk's harrowing competition debut.

FC Sheriff 2-0 FC Rànger's
Goals from Evgheni Gorodetchil and Aleksei Kuchuk put Sheriff within sight of a prize tie against Beşiktaş JK after a hard-fought win against nine-man Rànger's of Andorra. Goalkeeper Gregorio Rodriguez was the first to go after handling outside his area on 15 minutes and worse was to follow when Kuchuk fired Sheriff in front at the end of the first half. Gorodetchil made sure of victory for the Moldovan hosts with a long-range strike with eleven minutes to play before Teba was dismissed late on.

FH Hafnarfjördur 4-1 HB Tórshavn
Hafnarfjördur made home advantage count with two goals in each half. The Icelandic side got off to the perfect start when Freyr Bjarnason put them ahead on ten minutes and they doubled their lead three minutes later when Matthías Vilhjálmsson pounced on a rebound from Sigurvin Ólafsson’s header. Hafnarfjördur’s northern neighbours from the Faroe Islands were given hope when Tommy Nielson scored an own goal on 45 minutes but further strikes from Ólafsson and Vilhjálmsson after the break put Hafnarfjördur on course for a second qualifying round meeting against either APOEL FC or FC BATE Borisov.

NK Domžale 1-0 KF Tirana
Siniša Janković's superb long-range strike ensured the Slovenian side's first foray into the UEFA Champions League ended in triumph. Janković fired in from 25 metres on the stroke of half-time to reward the home side for some enterprising play during the opening period. The Albanian visitors had been happy to play on the counterattack but had done little to test home goalkeeper Dejan Nemec. Domžale continued to press after the interval but substitute Slaviša Dvorančič missed two great chances to leave a second qualifying round tie against either FK Khazar Lenkoran or NK Dinamo Zagreb still up for grabs.

FK Pobeda 0-1 FC Levadia Tallinn
Konstantin Nahk struck early in the second half to give the Estonian champions a lead to take home from their trip to F.Y.R. Macedonia. The match was decided on 52 minutes when Nahk's low free-kick from 25 metres passed through a packed penalty area and beyond goalkeeper Darko Tofiloski. The hosts' hopes of a comeback were dented when defender Nebojša Stojković was sent off for a professional foul on Vitoldas Cepauskas in the 74th minute. Levadia should have put the tie out of reach after that, and made sure of a meeting with FK Crvena Zvezda in the second qualifying round, but Vitali Leitan spurned two late chances.

Derry City FC 0-0 FC Pyunik
John Robertson's side have it all to do in Yerevan next week after failing to take a clutch of chances against their Armenian opponents. Pat McCourt was denied early on and that set the tone for the evening. Ciaran Martyn shot weakly at Gevord Kasparov after the interval with Derry's best opportunity, while McCourt and Barry Molloy also spurned late chances for a frustrated home side. Pyunik will now fancy their chances of progressing to a tie with FC Shakhtar Donetsk when the Irish club make the long journey east next week.

F91 Dudelange 1-2 MŠK Žilina
Žilina battled back to clinch a hard-earned victory in Luxembourg after falling behind just before half-time. The Slovakian champions dominated the first half and both Adam Nemec and Mário Breška spurned excellent chances, but a minute into stoppage time the home side went ahead. Tomas Hubocan brought Joris Di Gregorio down in the penalty area and the striker fired in the spot kick. Žilina were not behind for long. Robert Jez drew his side level with another penalty four minutes after the restart and substitute Ivan Lietava headed in the winner on 73 minutes. The winners will play SK Slavia Praha in the second qualifying round.

Click here for Tuesday's first qualifying round first leg results and reports.

Last updated: 19/07/07 12.56CET

Related information

Team profiles