The official website for European football

Bellamy back with a bang

Published: Wednesday 13 November 2002, 23.01CET
Feyenoord 2-3 Newcastle United FC Craig Bellamy's two goals help Newcastle secure remarkable comeback.

Match statistics


Goals scored2
Attempts on target6
Attempts off target7
Fouls committed16
Yellow cards2
Red cards0



P: Played   
Pts: Points   
Last updated: 20/11/2017 15:47 CET
Published: Wednesday 13 November 2002, 23.01CET

Bellamy back with a bang

Feyenoord 2-3 Newcastle United FC Craig Bellamy's two goals help Newcastle secure remarkable comeback.

Newcastle United FC striker Craig Bellamy returned from suspension to fire his side into the UEFA Champions League's second group stage with a stunning double in a 3-2 Group E victory over Feyenoord.

Double delight
Bellamy had served a three-match ban imposed by UEFA for violent conduct before this game at the Feijenoord stadium, but announced his return with a goal in added time at the end of each half to wrap up a sparkling comeback for Newcastle, who became the first side in Champions League history to lose their first three matches but still progress.

Remarkable match
The Welsh international striker opened the scoring with the last touch of the first half, but after Hugo Viana had doubled the visitors' lead shortly after the break, Feyenoord bounced back with goals from Anthony Lurling and substitute Mariano Bombarda. With group leaders Juventus FC beating FC Dynamo Kyiv in Ukraine, it appeared both sides would be heading out of this season's competition, but Bellamy popped up at the death to complete a remarkable match.

Bosvelt blunder
With so much at stake, what had initially been a cagey encounter came to life midway through the first half when the ball fell to Feyenoord captain Paul Bosvelt on 23 mintes, but he curled a good chance narrowly over the crossbar.

Last-ditch Lodewijks
Bellamy squandered a superb opportunity to give Newcastle the lead on 37 minutes when he was played clean through on goal, but keeper Patrick Lodewijks narrowed the angle and, with the striker delaying his shot, made a fine block. Seconds later Feyenoord had a gilt-edged chance but Lurling was denied by Shay Given.

Deadlock broken
As half-time approached, former England captain Alan Shearer, a constant thorn in Feyenoord's side, rose to flick on a high ball forward and Bellamy, who had been well monitored by Patrick Paauwe, this time held off his marker before clipping a left-footed shot back across goalkeeper and into the far corner.

Portuguese joy
Four minutes into the second half it was 2-0. Kieron Dyer dispossessed Tomasz Rzasa on the right and broke into the area where he paused before finding Hugo Viana unmarked. The Portuguese teenager controlled the ball and unleashed a terrific left-foot strike which nestled in the far corner.

Feyenoord fightback
Newcastle's Jermaine Jenas saw a shot blocked and at the other end Brett Emerton twice went close before the Feyenoord fightback began in earnest. On 65 minutes, more than seven hours after their last Champions League goal, Feyenoord finally found the net through Bombarda, who latched on to Bonaventure Kalou's measured pass and slid the ball past Given to give the home side hope.

Lurling's leveller
The tide had swung firmly in Feyenoord's favour and six minutes later it was all square, Lurling's vicious volley from the edge of the Newcastle area raising the roof - and the Dutch side had several chances to win the game and secure their passage into the last 16.

Late drama
Lurling was denied, Nikos Dabizas made a splendid last-ditch tackle and Bosvelt drove the ball with pace just wide - but the glory was reserved for Bellamy. The 23-year-old striker was first to react when Lodewijks made an outstanding save from Dyer's ten-metre effort, cracking the ball goalwards from an acute angle to leave Feyenoord stunned.

Last updated: 14/11/02 4.19CET