|Attempts on target||58||25|
|Attempts off target||58||55|
Fresh from breaking into Brazil's starting lineup, Fenerbahçe SK defender Edu is ready to stifle FC Internazionale Milano as the Turkish title-holders return to the UEFA Champions League.
The 26-year-old, who had capped his fine debut season in Turkey with a goal in a derby win against Galatasaray SK in May, was recalled to the Brazil squad last week by Dunga, coming off the bench against the United States before starting against Mexico. Now Edu has to deal with the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimović during Inter's visit to Istanbul on Wednesday, as he makes his first appearance in the competition proper. "I played for Brazil, and now I will play in the Champions League," Edu said. "It is the most exciting week of my career. I'm reaping the rewards of my hard work, I have more responsibilities now."
After hosting Inter, Fenerbahçe will face testing trips to PFC CSKA Moskva and PSV Eindhoven in Group G, making three points against the Italian champions a vital aim. "It's very important to take advantage in the first game as our next two games are away," Edu said. "We have the ability to win the first game if every player gives their all. We have to be cautious at the start, we respect our opponents but we do have the ability to win."
Much of the talk in Istanbul has been of Zico's change of formation on Saturday when Fenerbahçe lined up with three at the back instead of four – and were held 1-1 by struggling Rizespor in the Süper Lig. "Everyone is talking about our system," Edu said. "We had chances but couldn't score; if we had done, no one would be talking." And the former Cruzeiro EC player also reckons that they could actually have more space against Inter, adding: "It is different for Fenerbahçe in the Turkish league from in the Champions League. In my opinion, all Turkish teams try to stifle our game but European opponents take the game to us."
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.