This content is streamed in such a way that it is protected and available only in a Flash format. Your device seems not to be compatible with our Flash video player.
|Attempts on target||69||17|
|Attempts off target||55||33|
Bursaspor coach Ertuğrul Sağlam could be forgiven a touch of trepidation ahead of his side's Matchday 3 visit to Manchester United FC. On his last visit to north-west England he was on the receiving end of an 8-0 defeat.
• That heavy loss came when he took Beşiktaş JK to Liverpool FC in the UEFA Champions League group stage on 6 November 2007.
• Ahead of their first meeting with United, Bursaspor have lost both games so far in Group C, at home to Valencia CF (0-4) on their UEFA Champions League debut and at Rangers FC (1-0) on Matchday 2. United, by contrast, put the frustrating home stalemate with Rangers behind them by winning 1-0 at Valencia last time out.
• The last time a Turkish team visited Old Trafford, last November, Beşiktaş were 1-0 victors to become the first visiting side in 24 matches, and over four years, to triumph at United in the UEFA Champions League. Sir Alex Ferguson's men had already qualified for the knockout stage, however, and earlier beat Beşiktaş 1-0 in Istanbul.
• That defeat left United with a record of W2 D1 L2 at home against Turkish opposition.
• United's most recent victory against Turkish visitors came against Fenerbahçe SK in the 2004/05 group stage when Wayne Rooney, then 18, marked his United debut with a stunning hat-trick in a 6-2 success.
• Bursaspor's only previous encounter with English opposition brought a 4-0 victory against Wimbledon FC in a UEFA Intertoto Cup tie in Brighton in June 1995. The Wimbledon side included three young players on loan from United: Michael Appleton, John O'Kane and Graeme Tomlinson.
• Michael Owen scored past Bursaspor goalkeeper Dimitar Ivankov to help Liverpool beat PFC Levski Sofia 4-2 in a UEFA Cup third round tie in Bulgaria in March 2004.
• Owen also found the net for Liverpool in a 3-3 draw with an FC Basel 1893 side including Ivan Ergić in the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League first group stage. Owen's goal completed Liverpool's comeback from 3-0 down but the draw was still enough for Basel to advance at the Merseysiders' expense. Basel's next game was a 3-1 home loss to United in which Ergić also played.
• Ergić has also faced Aston Villa FC, Blackburn Rovers FC and Middlesbrough FC in UEFA competition. He is still seeking a first victory in England.
• Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville were part of the United side who missed out on the 1993/94 UEFA Champions League group stage after an away-goals defeat by Istanbul outfit Galatasaray AŞ in the second round – United drew 3-3 at Old Trafford, then 0-0 in Istanbul.
• Milan Stepanov was an unused substitute for FC Porto in both legs of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final defeat by United in 2008/09.
• Ali Tandoğan helped Gençlerbirliği SK defeat Blackburn in the 2003/04 UEFA Cup but was also in that Beşiktaş team beaten 8-0 at Liverpool.
• He was also an unused substitute for Beşiktaş in a 2-0 home defeat by Dimitar Berbatov's Tottenham Hotspur FC in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup group stage; Berbatov scored the second goal.
• Gökçek Vederson played both legs of Fenerbahçe's 2007/08 UEFA Champions League quarter-final defeat by Chelsea FC. The next season he appeared in a 0-0 group stage draw at Arsenal FC.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.