|Attempts on target||18||36|
|Attempts off target||28||42|
After earning their first UEFA Champions League win against Villarreal CF on matchday three, Manchester City FC will now look for a first success on Spanish soil when the sides reconvene at El Madrigal.
• Sergio Agüero's added-time winner in Manchester left Juan Carlos Garrido's Villarreal still point-less in Group A and knowing another defeat would confirm their elimination. City, by contrast, now lie within a point of second-placed SSC Napoli.
• Villarreal had never lost three successive European fixtures and must avoid a fourth as they seek three points to keep their faint hopes alive. Although beaten at home by FC Bayern München in September, they have a strong recent European record at El Madrigal having previously recorded nine straight victories: eight out of eight in last season's UEFA Europa League, then a 3-0 defeat of Odense BK in August's UEFA Champions League play-offs.
• City have lost three and drawn two of their last five European away fixtures, and not scored for 283 minutes.
• Villarreal have recorded two wins and four draws at home against English opposition. Their most recent victory was a 2-1 success against Everton FC in the 2005/06 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round.
• Since then they have drawn twice with both Manchester United FC and Arsenal FC. Marcos Senna scored when Arsenal visited for a 1-1 draw in the 2008/09 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.
• City failed to win in Spain in three previous attempts. They came back from 2-0 and 3-1 behind to hold Athletic Club 3-3 on their first visit, setting up a 6-3 aggregate success in the first round of their triumphant 1969/70 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup campaign. They lost 2-1 at Valencia CF in the 1972/73 UEFA Cup first round.
• They also lost 3-1 at Real Racing Club in the 2008/09 UEFA Cup group stage. Of City's 18-man squad only Micah Richards, Pablo Zabaleta, substitute Vincent Kompany and the unused pair Joe Hart and Nedum Onuoha remain.
• As a UC Sampdoria player Roberto Mancini lost the 1988/89 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and the 1991/92 European Champion Clubs' Cup finals against FC Barcelona. It proved third time lucky against Spanish opposition when he helped S.S. Lazio defeat RCD Mallorca to claim the 1998/99 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.
• Mancini's Italy beat Spain 1-0 at the 1988 UEFA European Championship.
• As a coach, Mancini's FC Internazionale Milano were eliminated from the 2005/06 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals by Villarreal. The first leg in Milan finished 2-1 to Inter but a 1-0 defeat at El Madrigal sent the Spanish side through on away goals. Villarreal's Marcos Senna played in both games, Gonzalo Rodríguez appearing in Spain.
• César Sánchez spent the first half of 2008/09 at Tottenham Hotspur FC, appearing once in a League Cup win against Liverpool FC.
• Giuseppe Rossi was a Manchester United player from 2004 to 2007, during which time he also had a loan spell with Newcastle United FC. Rossi and Mario Balotelli are colleagues in Italy's national team.
• Borja Valero played for West Bromwich Albion FC in the Premier League between 2008 and 2009, losing 4-2 at City in April 2009.
• Kolo Touré scored the only goal of Arsenal's 2005/06 UEFA Champions League semi-final victory against Villarreal. Touré later played alongside Gaël Clichy and Samir Nasri as Arsenal eliminated Villarreal in 2008/09.
• Edin Džeko faced Villarreal with VfL Wolfsburg in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League round of 32, scoring in a 4-1 home win.
• For Club Atlético de Madrid, Agüero met Villarreal eight times in five years in the Spanish Liga, winning four and losing four while scoring five goals.
• David Silva faced Villarreal seven times with Valencia and on loan at RC Celta de Vigo, winning four games, drawing one and losing two. He struck in a 4-1 Liga victory against Villarreal on 17 January 2010 and played with Carlos Marchena and César at Valencia.
• Two other City players with Liga experience are Yaya Touré (Barcelona 2007-10) and Zabaleta (RCD Espanyol 2005-08).
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.