UEFA capacity: 74,244
Tenants: Hertha BSC Berlin
Opened: 1 August 1936
• The venue, located in western Berlin, was built for the 1936 Olympics and opened at the start of the Games. Designed by local architect Werner March, it originally accommodated 100,000 spectators.
• It has been the home of Hertha Berlin since 1963, when the Bundesliga was founded, and was the biggest stadium used during the 1974 FIFA World Cup, staging three matches.
• The ground underwent extensive renovations between 2000 and 2004 ahead of the 2006 World Cup, when the Olympiastadion held four group games – the quarter-final between Germany and Argentina, and the final between Italy and France.
• Germany have played more than 30 matches at the Olympiastadion, perhaps most notably the 1972 UEFA European Championship quarter-final against England. After a 3-1 win at Wembley, a 0-0 draw was enough for eventual champions West Germany to progress. In October 2012 it witnessed a less happy occasion for Germany as Sweden came from four down to draw 4-4 in a World Cup qualifier.
• The German Cup final has taken place at the Olympiastadion since 1985, but it is a multi-sport arena. It was once home to American football team Berlin Thunder, and in 2009 the running track and infield hosted the 2009 IAAF World Championships in athletics.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.