The official website for European football

Battling Maribor hold APOEL

Published: Wednesday 31 July 2013, 21.58CET
APOEL FC 1-1 NK Maribor
Tavares cancelled out Esmaël Gonçalves's first-half effort to secure a creditable draw for the Slovenian title holders in Cyprus.
by Constantinos Shiamboullis
from GSP Stadium

This content is streamed in such a way that it is protected and available only in a Flash format. Your device seems not to be compatible with our Flash video player.

Match statistics


Goals scored1
Possession (%)0
Total attempts14
on target3
off target9
against woodwork0
Yellow cards4
Red Cards0
Fouls committed13
Fouls suffered10



30 July 2013

SalzburgSalzburg - FenerbahçeFenerbahçe
PAOKPAOK - MetalistMetalist
PSVPSV - Zulte WaregemZulte Waregem
LyonLyon - GrasshoppersGrasshoppers
BaselBasel - Gyori ETO / Maccabi Tel/Aviv
Sligo Rovers / Molde - The New Saints / Legia Warszawa
HJK Helsinki / Nomme Kalju - Viktoria Plzen / Zeljeznicar
GNK Dinamo / Fola Esch - Sheriff / Sutjeska
NordsjællandNordsjælland - ZenitZenit
Slovan Bratislava / Luogorets Razgrad - Shirak / Partizan
Dinamo Tbilisi / EB/Streymur - Steaua Bucuresti / Vardar
APOELAPOEL - Birkirkara / Maribor
Celtic / Cliftonville - Elfsborg / Daugava Daugavpils
BATE Borisov / Shakhter Karagandy - Neftci / Skenderbeu
Austria WienAustria Wien - Ekranaas / FH

31 July 2013

Published: Wednesday 31 July 2013, 21.58CET

Battling Maribor hold APOEL

APOEL FC 1-1 NK Maribor
Tavares cancelled out Esmaël Gonçalves's first-half effort to secure a creditable draw for the Slovenian title holders in Cyprus.

Two seasons after they reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League, APOEL FC marked their return to the competition with a 1-1 draw against NK Maribor in the first leg of their third qualifying round tie.

Ahead at the interval through Esmaël Gonçalves's goal, the Nicosia outfit looked to be in the driving seat at GSP Stadium, the site of so many heroics during their historic 2011/12 campaign. But APOEL were pegged back on 64 minutes, Maribor captain Tavares striking to give the Slovenian champions an away goal to defend in the second leg.

The hosts began the match on the front foot, passing patiently in a manner that will have pleased coach Paulo Sérgio. Constantinos Charalambides brought an early save from Maribor goalkeeper Jasmin Handanovič but it would be Gonçalves who broke the deadlock, scoring in emphatic fashion following a clever pass from Nuno Morais.

Gustavo Manduca and Gonçalves continued to threaten but Ante Čačić's visitors fought back after half-time, levelling through Tavares just after the hour mark. The Brazilian, a former APOEL player, met Aleksander Rajčevič's cross from the left with a diving header that sneaked under the body of Urko Pardo.

Stathis Aloneftis almost restored the Cypriot side's lead on 80 minutes yet was unable to find a finish, meaning the teams will reconvene on equal terms at Stadion Ljudski vrt on 6 August.

Last updated: 05/09/13 0.01CET

  • © 1998-2014 UEFA. All rights reserved.
  • The CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE words, the UEFA Champions League logo and trophy and the UEFA Champions League Final logos are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of UEFA. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such trade marks. Use of signifies your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.