When RSC Anderlecht and Olympiacos FC come face to face on matchday two in the UEFA Champions League Group C, it will be their first competitive meeting for 39 years.
• Both teams need points having each lost their first fixture. While Anderlecht went down 2-0 at SL Benfica, Olympiacos FC were beaten 4-1 at home by Paris Saint-Germain FC.
• The teams played a friendly game in Piraeus on 7 August which Olympiacos won 1-0 thank to a Dimitris Siovas goal.
• The last time this fixture was played on the European stage was in autumn 1974 in the European Champion Clubs' Cup second round. Anderlecht were 5-1 home winners but had to withstand an almighty second-leg scare in Patras as Maik Galakos scored a hat-trick for Olympiacos, who nevertheless bowed out after only managing a 3-0 success.
• Anderlecht are unbeaten in their last seven competitive fixtures against Greek sides, winning four and drawing three. Their only other defeat came in a 2002/03 UEFA Cup fourth round tie, 3-0 against Panathinaikos FC. Their overall record is W5 D5 L2 (W4 D2 L0 at home).
• Anderlecht's last six meetings with Greek opponents have come against AEK Athens FC, in the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League group stage and the 2010/11 and 2011/12 UEFA Europa League group stage. They recorded three victories and three draws, but won three of their last four fixtures.
• Olympiacos' only other experience of Belgian opponents came in the 2009/10 UEFA Champions League group stage, when they beat R. Standard de Liège 2-1 at the Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium but went down 2-0 in the return.
• In their tenth UEFA Champions League participation, Anderlecht finished bottom of Group C last season and suffered the same fate in all the other five group stage campaigns since progressing to the second group stage in 2000/01.
• In those six seasons they have won just four fixtures and when they beat FC Zenit 1-0 on matchday four in last season's competition it was their first home success in the UEFA Champions League proper in nine years.
• In 2012/13, when Anderlecht returned to the competition proper after four qualifying failures, the Belgian champions lost their two other home games, against AC Milan and Málaga CF.
• Olympiacos, in the group stage for the 15th time and their third in succession, reached the 1998/99 quarter-finals.
• Last season they finished third in Group B, losing away games at Arsenal FC and FC Schalke 04 and winning 2-1 at Montpellier Hérault SC. The previous season they also finished third in their section, losing away against Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund while winning in France – against Olympique de Marseille.
• Míchel was in the starting lineup for both Real Madrid CF's dramatic encounters against Anderlecht in the 1984/85 UEFA Cup second round. Madrid lost 3-0 in Brussels but won the return 6-1 to go through.
• Kostas Manolas played in three of AEK's UEFA Europa League games against Anderlecht and was sent off in Brussels on 15 September 2011, when the Belgian club won 4-1. Anderlecht team-mates Olivier Deschacht and Silvio Proto played the full 360 minutes across the two seasons.
• Anthony Vanden Borre was on target when Anderlecht met AEK in the UEFA Champions League group stage on 6 December 2006, scoring the opener in a 2-2 draw.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.