Celtic FC will be mindful of the fate of their local rivals Rangers FC as they go into their UEFA Champions League play-off decider, the Light Blues having come off worse against the Violets in 2011/12.
• The first leg in Slovenia finished 1-1, Callum McGregor's early goal for Celtic being swiftly cancelled out by Damjan Bohar.
• Maribor have played three previous two-legged ties against Scottish sides, with the record W3 D1 L2 (W2 D0 L1 at home – W1 D1 L1 in Scotland).
• Having lost 6-1 over two legs to the same side in the 2001/02 UEFA Champions League second qualifying round, Maribor got the better of Celtic's arch-rivals Rangers in the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League play-offs. Maribor are on a five-game unbeaten run (W3 D2) against Scottish clubs.
• This is the first time Celtic have been drawn against Slovenian opponents.
• Eliminated in the play-offs in 2012/13 (by GNK Dinamo Zagreb) and 2013/14 (by FC Viktoria Plzeň), Maribor's only previous UEFA Champions League group stage campaign was in 1999/2000; Celtic are veterans of eight group stage campaigns.
• Celtic have won their last two UEFA Champions League play-offs since losing to Arsenal FC in 2009/10; they eliminated Helsingborgs IF in 2012/13 and FC Shakhtar Karagandy last season.
Links and trivia
• Scotland's record in three meetings with Slovenia at senior international level is W1 D2 L0; in UEFA age-group competitions, Scotland's record against Slovenia is W7 D1 L3.
• The colour of Celtic's shirts may provide an extra spur for Maribor; the club's traditional main rivals in Slovenia, NK Olimpija Ljubljana, also wear green.
• Maribor's naturalised Brazilian captain Marcos Tavares recently became one of only six players to reach 300 matches for the club.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.