PSV Eindhoven need at least a draw to maintain their fading hopes of progress from UEFA Champions League Group D as they host FC Bayern München on matchday four.
• PSV's search for a first victory continued as they went down 4-1 in Munich on matchday three, with Thomas Müller, Joshua Kimmich, Robert Lewandowski and Arjen Robben all scoring for the home side. Luciano Narsingh got the PSV goal.
• Second in Group D, Bayern will secure qualification to the last 16 if they beat PSV and Club Atlético de Madrid avoid defeat against FC Rostov in the group's other fixture.
• Bayern hold the upper hand in head-to-head encounters (W5 D1 L1).
• PSV won 2-1 in Eindhoven in the 1999/2000 UEFA Champions League first group stage, Luc Nilis and Ruud van Nistelrooy scoring as the visitors finished with ten men after Jens Jeremies' dismissal. PSV, who came bottom of the group, had lost 2-1 in Munich, where Paulo Sérgio scored twice and Mark van Bommel was sent off for the Dutch side.
• The line-ups in Eindhoven on 26 October 1999 were:
PSV: Dirkx, Addo, Faber, Waterreus, Heintze, Van Bommel, Vogel, Stîngă, Kolkka (Iwan 88), Nilis (Bruggink 72), Van Nistelrooy.
Bayern: Kahn, Andersson, Babbel (Salihamidžić 68), Linke, Lizarazu, Matthäus, Effenberg, Jeremies, Paulo Sérgio (Santa Cruz 26), Elber, Zickler (Jancker 74).
• PSV sit bottom of Group D with one point and have not won any of their last five fixtures in the UEFA Champions League, last season included.
• PSV have failed to score in their last two European home fixtures – a goalless draw against Atlético Madrid in last season's round of 16 and a 1-0 defeat by the same opponents on matchday one this season.
• PSV's home record against German sides is W9 D3 L5.
• Their last home encounter with Bundesliga opponents came in the corresponding week last year – on 3 November 2015 – when they defeated VfL Wolfsburg 2-0 in a group-stage fixture through goals by Jürgen Locadia and Luuk de Jong.
• Bayern lost at Atlético (0-1) on matchday two and have won just two of their last 11 UEFA Champions League away matches (D3 L6).
• Bayern's away record against Dutch clubs is W3 D2 L4.
• Their most recent visit to the Netherlands was for a 2-2 draw at AFC Ajax in the 2004/05 group stage. Their last victory was a 4-3 success at FC Twente in the 1993/94 UEFA Cup first round.
• Bayern lost the 1982 European Champion Clubs' Cup final 1-0 against Aston Villa FC at De Kuip stadium in Rotterdam.
Coach and player links
• As AC Milan coach, Carlo Ancelotti overcame a PSV team including Cocu in the 2004/05 UEFA Champions League semi-finals. Cocu scored twice in PSV's 3-1 second-leg success, but Milan progressed on away goals (3-3 agg).
• In that same group campaign, Rafinha made his UEFA Champions League debut for FC Schalke 04 in a 1-0 defeat at a PSV side containing Cocu.
• Arjen Robben was a PSV player from 2001 to 2004. In two full seasons in PSV's first team he made 56 league appearances and scored 17 goals.
• Robben played in the Netherlands team with Cocu at UEFA EURO 2004. Cocu was Netherlands assistant coach when a Dutch side including Robben finished runners-up at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
• Olexandr Zinchenko's Ukraine lost 2-0 to the Germany of Manuel Neuer, Jérôme Boateng and Thomas Müller in the UEFA EURO 2016 group stage.
• Daniel Schwaab faced Bayern ten times as a player with SC Freiburg, Bayer 04 Leverkusen and VfB Stuttgart (W1 D1 L7).
• Luuk de Jong faced Bayern twice in the Bundesliga with VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach (2012–2014), losing both games.
• PSV have won just two of their last seven games in all competitions following Saturday's 2-0 success at Vitesse, Gastón Pereiro striking twice to take his Eredivisie tally to five for the season.
• Cocu's team prevailed 1-0 against Sparta Rotterdam on 22 October but lost 3-1 to the same opponents in the Dutch Cup second round three days later, Bart Ramselaar scoring in both matches.
• Narsingh sustained a hamstring injury in the cup tie.
• Jeroen Zoet missed both matches against Sparta and the Vitesse match due to muscular problems.
• Jorrit Hendrix (out since 28 September, knee) and Locadia (28 August, groin) are still sidelined.
• Philipp Lahm is a booking away from a ban.
• Bayern qualified for the last 16 of the German Cup on 26 October, defeating FC Augsburg 3-1 at home. They will play Wolfsburg in February.
• Julian Green scored his first Bayern goal against Augsburg, while Holger Badstuber came on as a late substitute for his first appearance since breaking an ankle on 13 February.
• Bayern beat Augsburg 3-1 again on Saturday, this time in the league, Robert Lewandowski scoring twice and setting up the second goal for Arjen Robben.
• Douglas Costa marked his first Bundesliga start of the season with the second goal in the 2-0 win against VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach on 23 October.
• Lewandowski has scored 17 goals in his last 16 games for club and country.
• Kimmich has scored seven goals in his last 11 outings for Bayern.
• Franck Ribéry has missed Bayern's last four games due to muscular problems.
• Lewandowski, Müller, Neuer and Arturo Vidal are among the 30 players shortlisted for the 2016 Ballon d'Or by France Football magazine.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.