Arsenal have lost in the last 16 for six seasons in a row; to end that run, they must overcome a Bayern München side who beat them at this stage in 2013 and 2014.
Arsenal FC have not been past the round of 16 since 2009/10; to end that run they must overcome familiar opponents FC Bayern München, who have beaten the Gunners at this stage twice in recent years.
• The teams have met ten times, all since 2000/01. The German club have won five of those games and the English side three, with Bayern knocking out Arsenal in the round of 16 in 2004/05, 2012/13 and 2013/14.
• In last term's group stage, Arsenal overcome Bayern 2-0 in north London thanks to goals from Olivier Giroud and Mesut Özil.
• However, the German team triumphed 5-1 back in Munich with Thomas Müller (2), David Alba and Arjen Robben on the scoresheet. Giroud again scored for Arsenal.
• The line-ups in Munich on 4 November 2015 were:
Bayern: Neuer, Lahm, Boateng (Benatia 68), Javi Martínez, Alaba, Xabi Alonso, Thiago, Müller, Douglas Costa, Coman (Robben 54), Lewandowski (Vidal 71).
Arsenal: Čech, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Monreal, Santi Cazorla (Chambers 87), Coquelin, Campbell (Gibbs 59), Özil, Alexis Sánchez, Giroud (Iwobi 85).
• Arsenal drew 1-1 at the Fußball Arena München in the 2013/14 round of 16 second leg when Lukas Podolski, returning to his former club, equalised within two minutes of Bastian Schweinsteiger putting the hosts ahead. Arsenal went out of the competition having lost 2-0 at home, with Müller once more on target.
• The line-ups in Munich on 11 March 2014 were:
Bayern: Neuer, Lahm, Javi Martínez, Dante, Alaba, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Thiago, Ribéry (Müller 85), Götze (Kroos 59), Mandžukić.
Arsenal: Fabiański, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta (Gnabry 77), Özil (Rosický 46), Cazorla, Podolski, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Flamini 84), Giroud.
• This is Bayern's 17th encounter with English opponents in the last five seasons. They have won the last three such home games but previously had not prevailed in four in Bavaria, including the 2012 final defeat on penalties by Chelsea FC.
• Bayern's overall home record against English teams is W13 D6 L3.
• Under Josep Guardiola, Bayern were losing UEFA Champions League semi-finalists in each of the last three campaigns, beaten on away goals by Club Atlético de Madrid last term.
• Bayern have posted 15 straight home wins in the UEFA Champions League – a competition best – including three this season.
• The Gunners finished top of Group A, two points ahead of Paris Saint-Germain, staying unbeaten away from home (W2 D1). They also avoided defeat at home and the last time they won their group unbeaten (2005/06), they went on to reach the final.
• Arsenal have lost three of their last seven European away matches; before that they had met defeat only twice in 11 games on the road.
• In Germany they have lost two and drawn one of their last three visits; in the five before that they won three and drew two.
• Their record against German clubs away from home is W5 D5 L7; overall it is W16 D6 L12.
Coach and player links
• With AC Sparta Praha, Chelsea and Arsenal, Petr Čech has faced Bayern on eight occasions (W3 D1 L4). His most notable success came in Chelsea's 2012 UEFA Champions League triumph in the Fußball Arena München. In extra time Čech saved Arjen Robben's penalty. Müller had given Bayern the lead with seven minutes of normal time remaining.
• Carlo Ancelotti coached Čech at Chelsea from 2009 to 2011. Together they won the Premier League and FA Cup in 2009/10.
• Mesut Özil has scored four goals in his 15 appearances against Bayern.
• Robben took on Arsenal 12 times for PSV, Chelsea and Bayern (W7 D4 L1), scoring twice.
• With Liverpool FC, Xabi Alonso faced Arsenal 13 times (W4 D4 L5).
• Jérôme Boateng spent 2010/11 with Manchester City FC.
• Granit Xhaka was part of the Basel squad that lost 7-0 at Bayern in the 2011/12 last 16 second leg, Robben netting twice.
• Xhaka tackled Bayern eight times while playing for VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach (W2 D3 L3).
• Francis Coquelin spent 2013/14 on loan at SC Freiburg.
• In the first leg of the 2012/13 semi-final, Lewandowski scored all four against Özil's Real Madrid in a 4-1 Borussia Dortmund win.
• Theo Walcott scored in Arsenal's 2-1 defeat by Douglas Costa's FC Shakhtar Donetsk in the 2010/11 group stage.
• Müller registered in Germany's 2-1 win in a Paris friendly on 6 February 2013 against a France team containing Franck Ribéry, Koscielny and Giroud. Philipp Lahm and Özil played for the visitors.
• Giroud scored in France's 2-1 friendly victory in Bremen on 29 February 2012 against a Germany side featuring Boateng, Özil, Müller and Manuel Neuer. Ribéry also played for the visitors.
• Sánchez was on target in Chile's 2-0 win over Costa's Brazil in FIFA World Cup qualifier on 8 October 2015.
• Have played together:
Mesut Özil, Shkodran Mustafi & Manuel Neuer, Boateng, Thomas Müller, Mats Hummels, Joshua Kimmich and Lahm (Germany)
Santi Cazorla, Nacho Monreal & Javi Martínez, Juan Bernat, Thiago Alcántara and Alonso (Spain)
Mathieu Debuchy, Giroud, Koscielny & Kingsley Coman and Ribéry (France)
Sánchez & Arturo Vidal (Chile)
Özil & Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid 2010–13)
Sánchez and Thiago Alcántara (Barcelona 2011–13)
Čech and Robben (Chelsea 2004–07)