UEFA EURO 2012 is emerging as one of the most intriguing final tournaments of the modern age, and the success of the finals in Poland and Ukraine is being reflected by extraordinary attendance figures at the matches and stunning television audiences around the globe as these recently released figures prove.
• 1.3 million: overall attendance after the quarter-finals (average of 45,435 per match).
• 64,640: largest attendance (Sweden v England, Kyiv).
• 56,070: biggest attendance in Poland (Poland v Greece, opening game in Warsaw).
• 98.6%: percentage of seating capacity filled.
Fan zone figures
• 4.9 million: spectators in fan zones (up until 23 June).
• 455,000: record number of spectators on a single evening in all fan zones, 16 June.
• 180,000: best daily attendance in a single fan zone, 19 June (Kyiv).
• 273,250: for the most watched match across all fan zones (England v Ukraine, 19 June).
• England v Italy is believed to have boasted the highest quarter-final audience in EURO history (100 million from first 20 reported markets with more than 100 broadcasters still to report).
• Highest since 2004: in the UK, the England v Italy match averaged 20.3 million viewers (67.8% share), the highest proportion since UEFA EURO 2004 when England lost to Portugal (20.7 million, 73.3% share). This beats the recent wedding of Prince William (13.6 million) and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert (14.7 million).
• In Italy, the 21.8 million viewing figure was 181% higher than the earlier screening of the Formula 1 Valencia Grand Prix. It also beats any non-sport transmission since at least 1994.
• Top Share: Germany v Greece attracted highest market share in Germany (77.8%).
• All-time record TV audience in Poland for Poland v Russia (14.7 million average, with a peak of 16.2 million).
• Across the ocean: UEFA EURO 2012 audiences on ESPN in the United States are averaging above 1 million viewers, with the group stage audience 82% up on UEFA EURO 2008.
• +142%: ESPN Deportes, ESPN's 24-hour Spanish-language sports network, has also delivered strong audiences for UEFA EURO 2012, up 142% on the equivalent stage of UEFA EURO 2008 (228,000 viewers vs. 94,000).
• Live goal updates, match previews, match reports and reaction on all platforms have drawn over 750,000 fans to the official UEFA EURO 2012 Facebook page.
• 142,500 people are following @UEFAcom on Twitter.
• At its peak there were seven tweets per second using #EURO2012.
• Averaging approximately 1,500 retweets of UEFA.com content per day – peak at 1,936 on 11 June.
• 85 official UEFA.com reporters on Twitter across Europe.
• Over 750k fans on the official Google+ page.
• One of the fastest growing pages on Google+ and entered the top 100 pages after the quarter-final stage.
• Gained over 250k Google+ fans during the tournament.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.