Stade Geoffroy Guichard
UEFA capacity: 42,000
Tenants: AS Saint-Étienne
Opened: September 1931
• Known affectionately as Le Chaudron (the Cauldron) due to its reputation for atmosphere, the stadium is named after the founder of the Casino retail chain, under whose auspices Saint-Étienne originally came into being.
• Situated to the north of the city centre, the ground was built on old mine tunnels and next to a steel factory, and in the early days, fumes from the plant's chimneys were known to drift across the pitch.
• The stadium originally incorporated an athletics track, though this was removed in 1956 ahead of rebuilding work that moved supporters closer to the action.
• The venue hosted matches at the 1984 UEFA European Championship, 1998 FIFA World Cup and 2007 Rugby World Cup, undergoing renovation work in the run-up to each tournament.
• Famed in the past for an 'English-style' design due to its four separate stands, the ground is having a facelift and enlarging its capacity to 41,500. The programme aims to restructure the two ends of the ground, reconfigure the roof, close in the stadium's four corners and create new hospitality areas. The work is also being done with AS Saint-Étienne in situ and is due for completion in mid-2014.
UEFA EURO 2016 matches
14/06/16, 21.00: F1 v F2
17/06/16, 18.00: D2 v D4
20/06/16, 21.00: B4 v B1
Round of 16
25/06/16, 15.00: RA v RC
All kick-off times CET.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.