Qualifying round (Group 9 ) - 07/09/2002 - 18:00CET (19:00 local time) - Helsingin Olympiastadion - Helsinki

Finland - Wales 0-2 - 07/09/2002 - Match page - UEFA EURO 2004

The official website for European football

Welsh woe for Finland

Published: Saturday 7 September 2002, 17.37CET
Finland 0-2 Wales Wales get their EURO 2004™ qualifying campaign off to a flying start.
Published: Saturday 7 September 2002, 17.37CET

Welsh woe for Finland

Finland 0-2 Wales Wales get their EURO 2004™ qualifying campaign off to a flying start.

Finland 0-2 Wales
Wales got their EURO 2004™ qualifying campaign off to a flying start with a surprise away success against Finland.

Welsh wonders
John Hartson and Simon Davies were the Welsh wonders in Helsinki, giving their side a priceless three points in Group 9. Both sides were keen to get off to a winning start, particularly with Italy and Yugoslavia still to come.

Strong defence
If the local fans had expected the home side to come storming out from kick-off, they were left disappointed as the game began slowly with chances few and far between. The Finns were the first to settle into any kind of rhythm but the Welsh rearguard showed plenty of resilience in blocking out any attempts from the home side.

Hartson opener
The visitors seemed content to sit back and let the Finns run themselves ragged against a solid Welsh wall and so the match proceeded without any chances of note in the first 30 minutes. The deadlock was broken on the half-hour mark when the Finnish defence failed to clear a cross from Gary Speed, and Celtic FC striker Hartson converted from close range.

Litmanen unlucky
The Finns immediately went back on the attack but they did not get any closer than a 20-metre attempt from Jari Litmanen towards the end of the first half. The home side were hoping for better things after the interval and certainly picked up their play.

Twice denied
Finland were unlucky not to restore parity when Teemu Tainio hit the post from a long-range shot and Shefki Kuqi came close with a header that was just tipped over the bar by Welsh goalkeeper Paul Jones. It looked like it would not be the Finns night and that was underlined when Ryan Giggs released Davies, and the Tottenham Hotspur FC man drilled the ball in at the near post in the 72nd minute.

Hughes thrilled
"We're delighted with the result," said Wales coach Mark Hughes. "It was a good start for the qualifying campaign and that could prove very important. In the first half, we didn't play exactly how I would have wanted but things improved in the second half. All in all it was a good performance."

Last updated: 09/09/02 9.14CET