|Attempts on target||87||54|
|Attempts off target||73||52|
|Attempts against woodwork||0||3|
|D||Albania||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|B||Republic of Ireland||Russia|
|C||Faroe Islands||Northern Ireland|
|B||Slovakia||Republic of Ireland|
Having last met in Basel, when Germany won 3-2 at the semi-final stage of UEFA EURO 2008, Turkey will be bent on turning the tables in what promises to be a thrilling UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying Group A encounter.
• Germany and the erstwhile Federal Republic of Germany's record in 18 games against Turkey reads W12 D3 L3 (W4 D2 L1 at home).
• Somewhat surprisingly, Turkey won their first match against the Federal Republic of Germany 2-1, coming out on top in their friendly meeting in West Berlin on 17 June 1951. Since then, they have failed to repeat that success on German soil, aside from a 2-0 1990 FIFA World Cup qualifying victory over the former German Democratic Republic in Magdeburg on 12 April 1989.
• Turkey's record in five games against the German Democratic Republic read W3 D1 L1 (W1 D1 L0 away from home).
• The Federal Republic of Germany met Turkey twice at the 1954 World Cup finals. The eventual winners beat the debutants 4-1 in a group game in Berne but had to face them again in a play-off six days later after finishing level on points in the section. Sepp Herberger's charges duly prevailed 7-2 in Zurich.
• Germany thwarted Turkey again in Switzerland in the semi-finals of UEFA EURO 2008, this time in Basel. Uğur Boral opened the scoring for Turkey only for Bastian Schweinsteiger to reply before the break, and although Semih Şentürk was then able to level the scores after Miroslav Klose had put Joachim Löw's men ahead, Philipp Lahm promptly hit the winner in the final minute.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.