|D||Romania||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|B||FYR Macedonia||Republic of Ireland|
Switzerland have a chance to close the gap on the pacesetters in UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying Group G when they visit Wembley but unbeaten England will have other ideas as they look for a second victory over opponents they defeated 3-1 in Basel on 7 September 2010.
• Wayne Rooney hit his first competitive international goal since September 2009 in Basel as England dominated the first period. Adam Johnson then looked to have wrapped things up following Stephan Lichtsteiner's second-half dismissal, but although a brilliant strike from Xherdan Shaqiri gave the home fans brief hope, Darren Bent's late finish confirmed victory.
• England's record in 21 previous outings against Switzerland reads W14 D4 L3 (W5 D3 L0 in London).
• The teams last met at Wembley on 6 February 2008 in Fabio Capello's first match at the England helm. Shaun Wright-Phillips scored the winner after Switzerland's Eren Derdiyok had cancelled out Jermaine Jenas's first-half opener.
• Switzerland and England have twice met in the finals of a UEFA European Championship. The last of those games was a Group B fixture at UEFA EURO 2004, when England triumphed 3-0 in Coimbra thanks to a double from Wayne Rooney and a late Steven Gerrard strike. Switzerland's Bernt Haas was sent off after an hour.
• Eight years earlier at EURO '96, Kübilay Türkyilmaz's 83rd-minute penalty earned Switzerland a 1-1 draw in the opening match of the tournament after Alan Shearer had given hosts England the lead.
• England took three points off Switzerland in qualifying for the 1972 UEFA European Championship, winning 3-2 in Basel in October 1971 before drawing the return 1-1 a month later.
• The nations also met at the 1954 FIFA World Cup finals, when England defeated hosts Switzerland 2-0 in Berne on 20 June via goals from Jimmy Mullen and Dennis Wilshaw.
• Two of Switzerland's three victories over England came in Zurich friendlies in 1938 and 1947, while their most recent success was a 2-1 win in a 1982 World Cup qualifier in Basel – after England had conjured a 2-1 home victory in the same campaign.
• The nations first met in a friendly in Berne on 20 May 1933, when England emerged with a 4-0 victory.
• Switzerland have yet to score in two Group G away games.
• England have not lost in six competitive games at Wembley since a 3-2 reverse against Croatia on 21 November 2007 ended their hopes of reaching UEFA EURO 2008.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.