Clubs: Etoile-Carouge FC, Arsenal FC, Birmingham City FC (loan)
• Born in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, Djourou moved to Geneva when he was 17 months old and joined local second division club Étoile-Carouge as a midfielder aged 15.
• Signed professional forms with Arsenal in August 2003 and was a member of the Switzerland squad that reached the UEFA European Under-19 Championship semi-finals the following year on home soil.
• Made his debut for Arsenal as a late substitute in a League Cup third round match against Manchester City FC (2-1) in October 2004, played seven league matches the following season and appeared in three of Switzerland's games at the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals.
• Spent the first half of 2007/08 on loan at Birmingham and the following season enjoyed more playing time, featuring in 15 Premier League fixtures and eight UEFA Champions League matches, including the semi-final second leg loss against Manchester United FC (1-3).
• A knee injury sustained in April 2009 sidelined Djourou for over a year, but he featured frequently after returning in May 2010 and played in four UEFA Champions League group games in 2010/11.