Clubs: sc Heerenveen, De Graafschap, NEC Nijmegen, AFC Ajax
• Left Denmark for the Netherlands at 16 to join sc Heerenveen's youth academy but was unable to break into the first team and departed for De Graafschap.
• Helped the Doetinchem club win the Eerste Divisie in his first term and was an ever-present in the following season's Eredivisie campaign, in which he scored seven goals.
• Left for NEC in 2008 and made an immediate impact, both in the league and the UEFA Cup, scoring a vital goal at FC Spartak Moskva in the latter to help take the Nijmegen club through to the knockout phase.
• Handed his first cap, in a friendly against Chile on 12 August 2009, he came on after 62 minutes and scored 60 seconds later; suffered a serious knee injury in training a month later which sidelined for the rest of the season.
• Bounced back brilliantly in 2010/11, starting all 34 Eredivisie games for NEC and scoring seven goals; also returned to international action and registered 15 minutes into his competitive debut to help Denmark to a 2-0 win in Iceland in a June 2011 UEFA European Championship qualifier.
• Joined Ajax following his two appearances at UEFA EURO 2012 and immediately impressed coach Frank de Boer, playing in five of the club's six UEFA Champions League outings and lifting the Eredivisie title in his first season with the club.