Clubs: Juventus, US Avellino (loan), Genoa CFC (loan), US Catanzaro (loan), FC Crotone (loan), FC Messina (loan), US Città di Palermo, AC Milan
• A son of Naples, he headed north to join the Juventus academy at 13 but it was on loan at US Avellino, in Serie B, that he launched his professional career during the 2003/04 season.
• Relegated with Avellino, he left Juventus for Genoa CFC, but loan spells with US Catanzaro, FC Crotone and FC Messina followed; made his Serie A debut on 12 February 2006 in Messina's 4-2 defeat by UC Sampdoria and scored his first top-flight goal against Empoli FC in a match subsequently declared void.
• Back in Serie B, with Piacenza Calcio, in 2006/07, he was bought back by Juventus the following season and helped the Bianconeri to finish third on their return to Serie A, also claiming a first cap for Italy − against South Africa in Siena on 17 October 2007.
• Left Juventus and finally settled in Sicily, with US Città di Palermo, where he spent the next three seasons, accumulating over 100 Serie A appearances and returning to the national team set-up under Cesare Prandelli; joined Milan on the final day of the summer 2011 transfer window on a five-year contract.
• A stellar season brought 10 goals in 37 league appearances and a memorable strike in Milan's defeat by FC Barcelona in the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League quarter-final; named in Italy's UEFA EURO 2012 squad, but made just two substitute appearances as Italy finished runners-up to Spain.
• Scored twice in 26 Serie A appearances in 2012/13 as Milan ended third.
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2012