• Italy have two wins from two in Group H thanks to two Giorgio Chiellini headers
• Berti Vogts's still point-less side keep hosts at bay for almost a half
• One minute from half-time Chiellini gives Italy lead from corner
• Juventus centre-back scores 76th-minute own goal, again from corner
• Chiellini soon makes amends, nodding in winner for Azzurri
• Andrea Pirlo plays 113th international
• Next games: Malta v Italy, Croatia v Azerbaijan (Monday)
Giorgio Chiellini turned from hero to villain, and to hero again, as Italy beat Azerbaijan 2-1 in Palermo to remain on maximum points after two games in UEFA EURO 2016 Group H.
Italy threatened to take an early lead when Claudio Marchisio fired over after fine work by Ciro Immobile, the Borussia Dortmund forward a constant menace with his sharp movements. Meanwhile, Azerbaijan goalkeeper Kamran Agayev had to dive full-length to palm wide a long-range effort by Leonardo Bonucci which was deflected by Simone Zaza.
Bonucci was dangerous again on 25 minutes but his diving header, from Andrea Pirlo's corner, was well fielded by Agayev. Azerbaijan continued to hold firm with captain Rashad F Sadygov leading the five-man line with great positional sense.
Andrea Ranocchia nodded just over from a Pirlo free-kick, yet it was another centre-back, Chiellini, who made best use of the midfielder's set pieces by heading into an empty net after meeting Pirlo's corner ahead of Agayev.
Antonio Conte's men almost added another in style soon after the break with Zaza putting a sublime overhead kick narrowly wide. Although Dmitri Nazarov tested Gianluigi Buffon from distance, the Azzurri came again with Zaza, the US Sassuolo Calcio attacker, missing from close range from Matteo Darmian's centre.
Fourteen minutes from time, however, Nazarov delivered a dangerous corner from the left which Buffon failed to reach and Chiellini deflected into his own net. The Juventus defender had the last word, though, as he nodded in a cross by substitute Sebastian Giovinco to give Italy the points.