Ajax have yet to lose in four European encounters with Lyon, but the only former UEFA Cup winners among the semi-finalists this season have to reckon with a lethal attacking force.
When are the games?
First leg, Amsterdam: Wednesday 3 May (18:45CEST)
Second leg, Lyon: Thursday 11 May (21:05CEST)
Ajax: 2 (goals 4)
Lyon: 0 (goals 1)
Lyon's record v Dutch clubs: W6 D4 L2
Ajax's record v French clubs: W10 D5 L7
Did you know?
• Ajax are the only side in the semi-finals who have won this competition before, prevailing on away goals against Torino in the 1992 UEFA Cup final.
• Lyon are the lone survivors from the eight teams who transferred to the UEFA Europa League at the end of this season's UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Ajax are without a victory in their last five matches against French clubs (D3 L2).
• Lyon are unbeaten in their last eight games against Eredivisie opponents, inckuding 4-1a and 7-1h wins against AZ Alkmaar in this term's round of 32.
• Ajax's record in two-legged ties against French clubs is W3 L3 – although they have been beaten in their last three such encounters.
• Lyon have won two of their three knockout ties against Dutch opponents.
Peter Bosz, Ajax coach
Lyon are very strong opponents, but that makes sense; this is a semi-final. We have seen what they did against AZ [Lyon won 11-2 on aggregate in the round of 32] but many sides have two faces. Look at us: at home against Schalke we played fantastic football and yesterday we were no better than good.
Bruno Génésio, Lyon coach
We wanted to be at home for the second leg. Aside from that we are happy. We know Ajax are a great club, with good young players.
Bernard Lacombe, Lyon special adviser
I watched Ajax a lot when I was 17, 18. They captured the imagination of people of my generation, with a number of players playing for the Dutch national team – Cruyff, Keizer, Neeskens. The club might have changed since then, but they're known for their youth set-up, a bit like us. It’s great to be up against such a big club, I have a massive amount of respect for Ajax, and I'm pleased we'll be playing at home in the second leg.
UCL: UEFA Champions League
1gs: first group stage
gs: group stage