The official website for European football

Berne relief for Marseille

Published: Thursday 10 August 2006, 21.25CET
Nine-man Olympique de Marseille came away from BSC Young Boys with a 3-3 draw while Hertha BSC Berlin scraped a win in Thursday's Central-East fixtures.
Published: Thursday 10 August 2006, 21.25CET

Berne relief for Marseille

Nine-man Olympique de Marseille came away from BSC Young Boys with a 3-3 draw while Hertha BSC Berlin scraped a win in Thursday's Central-East fixtures.

Nine-man Olympique de Marseille came away from BSC Young Boys with a 3-3 draw while Hertha BSC Berlin scraped a win in the first legs of tonight's UEFA Cup second qualifying round Central-East fixtures. rounds up the action.

BSC Young Boys 3-3 Olympique de Marseille
Despite having Taye Ismailia Taiwo dismissed after five minutes and Ronald Zubar after 70, and seeing a lead wiped out on three occasions, Marseille will be confident of eliminating Young Boys for the second time in as many seasons when this tie concludes at the Stade Vélodrome. All of Marseille's goals - Zubar's opener in the 20th and two from Mamadou Niang (44 and 57) - came from defensive mistakes, although the Swiss side took advantage of their numerical advantage to draw level each time through Hakan Yakin (21), Daniel João Paulo (49) and his fellow Brazilian Marcos Dos Santos (73).

Hertha BSC Berlin 1-0 FC Ameri Tbilisi
A late goal from Solomon Okoronkwo sent Hertha into the second leg of their tie against their Georgian opponents with a precious lead. The Berlin side showed plenty of intent with Pál Dárdai and Gilberto carving out chances, but all of their efforts looked destined to come to nothing until substitute Okoronkwo converted a cross in the dying minutes.

FC Artmedia 2-1 FC Dinamo Minsk
Having lost out to Artmedia as coach of FC Kairat Almaty in last season's UEFA Champions League first qualifying round, Dinamo coach Alexey Petrushin was foiled by the Slovakian side again. Brazilian midfielder Edu gave the Belarussian visitors a 22nd-minute lead but their defence could not weather the storm in the second period with Ľubomír Reiter and Marián Čišovský finding the net. Roman Konečný will miss the second leg for Artmedia after being dismissed for a second bookable offence five minutes from time.

SV Ried 0-0 FC Sion

Austrian challengers Ried face an uphill task in the second leg after being held to a goalless draw by Sion. Neither side conjured up much until a Herwig Drechsel cross set up Jovan Damjanović, but the Ried player headed wide.

FC Fehérvár 1-1 Grasshopper-Club
Fehérvár still have hope after coming from behind to earn a draw against Grasshoppers. After a subdued first half, Krassimir Balakov's side turned up the pressure with Antonio hitting the bar for the visitors with a 55th-minute free-kick before team-mate Diego León found the woodwork equally obdurate four minutes later. Grasshoppers took the lead after 69 minutes when a swift counterattack ended with Roberto Pinto scoring from ten metres, but substitute Gábor Horváth equalised deep into added time with a header from Mario Bozic's corner.

FK Karvan Evlakh 0-2 SK Slavia Praha
Karvan's chances of becoming the first Azeri team to progress through the qualifying stages of a European competition were dealt a blow when they conceded two goals without reply at home against Slavia. Suleyman Camara passed up two chances for the hosts within the first ten minutes before his side went behind, Tomáš Hrdlička heading in off the bar on 14 minutes. Slavia defended their lead resolutely throughout and, after Dzhavid Mirzayev missed a rare opportunity for Karvan with three minutes to go, Pavel Fořt registered another goal for the Czech side.

FC Chornomorets Odesa 0-0 Wisła Plock
Chornomorets failed to make either home advantage or their possession count as their return to European competition resulted in a goalless affair against Plock. Clear goalscoring opportunities were few and far between although Chornomorets newcomer Serhiy Shyshchenko showed glimpses of promise, cutting inside the area to rifle a shot against the post shortly after the interval.

FC Basel 1893 1-0 FC Vaduz

Daniel Majstorovic's second-half goal was enough to give Basel a narrow victory against Vaduz. The Swiss side were disappointing against their opponents from Liechtenstein with Mile Sterjovski, Mladen Petrić and Majstorovic all missing chances before the latter finally struck after the break, rising to meet Sterjovski's cross with a firm header.

CSF Zimbru Chisinau 0-0 FC Metalurg Zaporizhzhya
A goalless draw was a fair result in a game devoid of clear goalscoring opportunities. In the absence of the injured Chisinau strike-force of Galust Petrosyan and Vitalie Manoliu, the home side called upon Boris Cebotari and Alexey Zhdanov to trouble their Ukrainian opponents. Zhdanov had two chances to break the deadlock, while Filip Popescu's free-kicks also proved threatening. The visitors' best chance fell to Tamas Kabanov, who failed to score with a header from three metres.

SV Mattersburg 1-1 Wisła Kraków

Mattersburg took an early blow as Jürgen Patocka was substituted after six minutes with a shoulder injury and matters quickly got worse as Cléber's cross from the right found Marek Zieńczuk, who headed Wisła into the lead after 14 minutes. Mattersburg recovered and were on level terms after 20 minutes as Ilco Naumoski scored with a heavily-deflected shot. Wisła's Jacob Burns was dismissed for a second booking after 76 minutes before Mattersburg's Krzysztof Ratajczyk was shown a straight red for a foul on Jean Paulista.

FC Rubin Kazan 3-0 FC BATE Borisov
BATE's fifth defeat against a Russian side in as many attempts came against worthy victors as Rubin dominated from start to finish, taking the lead in the 35th minute when Dzhambulad Bazaev bemused Aleksandr Fedorovich with a shot which took a wicked deflection. The visitors raised the tempo after the break and created two reasonable goalscoring chances, only for Rubin to punish their profligacy through Mikheil Ashvetia who doubled his side's advantage when he met Bazaev's 57th-minute free-kick. Eleven minutes later it was 3-0 as Fedorovich fumbled another set-piece into the path of Ashvetia to score his second goal of the evening.

Last updated: 11/08/06 13.03CET

Related information

Team profiles