The official website for European football

Parma progress, Lokomotiv lose

Published: Friday 29 September 2006, 0.22CET
Round-up: Two-time winners Parma FC sealed their progess to the UEFA Cup group stage but FC Lokomotiv Moskva were big-name casualties.
Published: Friday 29 September 2006, 0.22CET

Parma progress, Lokomotiv lose

Round-up: Two-time winners Parma FC sealed their progess to the UEFA Cup group stage but FC Lokomotiv Moskva were big-name casualties.

Two-time UEFA Cup winners Parma FC were among the clubs to book a place in Tuesday's draw for the group stage after triumphing in the second leg of their first-round tie. Teenager Daniele Paponi scored the only goal as Parma made it successive 1-0 victories against FC Rubin Kazan, and it was an unhappy night for Russian clubs all round as FC Lokomotiv Moskva lost to SV Zulte Waregem in Belgium. rounds up the action.

Parma FC 1-0 FC Rubin Kazan (agg: 2-0)
A second-half goal from 18-year-old striker Paponi gave Parma a 1-0 victory at the Ennio Tardini, as the Italian side progress to the group stage with a 2-0 aggregate win. Paponi headed in a cross from Antonio Bocchetti three minutes into the second half to earn the Serie A outfit a victory that had looked in doubt as the Russian side started well. Jörgen Jalland and Orlando Calisto both went close for Rubin but Parma held firm.

SV Zulte Waregem 2-0 FC Lokomotiv Moskva (agg: 3-2)
Despite going into the second leg 2-1 behind, Belgian outfit Zulte Waregem surprised their more illustrious opponents with a commanding comeback. An injury-hit Lokomotiv team started brightly, with Garry O'Connor hitting the crossbar, but the home side held on and just before the hour-mark went ahead with a cool finish from Tim Matthys. Tony Sergeant then secured a famous win when he intercepted a Marat Izmailov pass and found the net with a sublime 25-metre lob.

RC Lens 3-1 Ethnikos Achnas FC (agg: 3-1)
Lens qualified for the group stage for a second successive season despite struggling against a battling Achnas at the Stade Félix-Bollaert. After a goalless draw in Nicosia, Aruna Dindane's opener for Lens failed to settle the home side's nerves with the knowledge that a goal at the other end would still put their Cypriot opponents through. However, despite matching Lens for an hour, two goals in three minutes from substitute Issam Jemaa and Daniel Cousin ended Achnas' hopes. Milan Belić pulled one back but it was merely a consolation.

Brøndby IF 2-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (agg: 2-6)
Going into the match with a 4-0 lead, Eintracht gave themselves more breathing space when Aleksandar Vasoski opened the scoring after just two minutes. The hosts equalised thanks to a fine Martin Ericsson free-kick on 20 minutes, but failed to seize the initiative as each team scored a goal apiece after the interval - Vasoski getting a second with a header and Thomas Rasmussen firing in for Eintracht.

FCS Pasching 0-1 AS Livorno Calcio (agg: 0-3)
An Ibrahima Bakayoko goal early in the second half was enough to seal progress for Livorno. Trailing 2-0 after the first leg, Pasching started with attacking intent as they attemped to claw back the tie but Bakayoko's deflected shot just short of the hour mark proved the only breakthrough.

PFC CSKA Sofia 2-2 Beşiktaş JK (aet, agg: 2-4)
Beşiktaş needed extra time to edge a victory in Bulgaria. The Turkish club led 2-0 after the first leg and the home side fought back when Valentin Iliev headed in Eugen Trika's free-kick on the hour and fellow defender Aleksandar Tunchev brought them level nine minutes later. Beşiktaş enjoyed a second wind in extra time as Márcio Nobre headed in Kleberson's corner before substitute Bobo capitalised on a defensive error to seal victory.

Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC 3-1 FC Chornomorets Odesa (agg: 4-1)
Hapoel reached the group stage for the first time in the club's history after overcoming Ukrainian outfit Chernomorets in Israel. Going into the second leg with a slender one-goal advantage, Salim Toama eased their nerves midway through the first half and Elyaniv Barda and Luciano De Bruno added further goals as the hosts eased to victory. Gennadi Nizhegorodov scored a consolation for Chernomorets, who ended the match with ten men following Andrei Ostrovskiy's dismissal.

SC Heerenveen 0-0 Vitória FC (agg: 3-0)
Already three goals to the good following the first-leg in Portugal, Heerenveen controlled affairs at the Abe Lenstra stadium without scoring. Setúbal failed to create any clear chances as goals from Afonso Alves (2) and Lasse Nilsson a fortnight ago proved decisive following a statemate tonight.

Kayserispor 1-1 AZ Alkmaar (agg: 3-4)
AZ held Turkish side Kayserispor to a 1-1 draw at the Atatürk Stadium to advance 4-3 on aggregate. Despite taking the lead early on thanks to Gökhan Ünal's tenth-minute header, Kayserispor could not hold on to their slender advantage. After Shota Arveladze's strike rebounded off the post, Tayfun Cora's own goal proved their undoing nine minutes into the second half as he turned Maarten Martens's cross into his own net.

FC Dinamo 1948 Bucuresti 4-1 Skoda Xanthi FC (agg: 8-4)
Leading 4-3 from the first leg, Dinamo made sure of a second group-stage campaign in a row in emphatic manner. Claudiu Niculescu opened the scoring early on with a long-range free-kick but the hosts found themselves under pressure after efforts from Jacques Paviot and Zisis Vryzas. Romanian nerves were eased in the second half thanks to Adrian Cristea and late efforts from Ionel Danciulescu and Niculescu again. Paviot replied for Xanthi.

Grasshopper-Club 5-0 Ätvidabergs FF (agg: 8-0)
Already cruising after the first leg, Grasshoppers did not ease up in the return at the Hardturm Stadion. David Blumer and Scott Sutter were on target in the first half and the Swiss side upped the tempo after the break, as Roland Schwegler, Eduardo and Michael Renggli all scored to complete the largest aggregate victory of the night.

Last updated: 29/09/06 11.13CET

Related information

Team profiles