The official website for European football

Washington saves Fenerbahçe

Published: Friday 1 November 2002, 0.20CET
Fenerbahçe SK 1-1 Panathinaikos FC Honours even in the first European meeting between Turkish and Greek clubs.
Published: Friday 1 November 2002, 0.20CET

Washington saves Fenerbahçe

Fenerbahçe SK 1-1 Panathinaikos FC Honours even in the first European meeting between Turkish and Greek clubs.

Panathinaikos FC will take an away goal and psychological advantage back to Athens for the second leg of their second round UEFA Cup tie after holding Fenerbahçe SK to a draw at the Sükrü Saraçoglu stadium in the first meeting in European club competition between Turkish and Greek clubs.

Basinas strikes first
Both goals came in the first half with Stecanela Washington cancelling out Angelos Basinas' 30-metre strike, as the Greek side were able to hold Fenerbahçe at bay after the break. 

Johnson slip
The game was brought to life on 16 minutes when Basinas took advantage of a slip in midfield by Samuel Johnson to stride forward unhindered before releasing a venomous dipping drive which flashed into the bottom right corner.

Washington chance
Fenerbahçe had shown little attacking fluency despite enjoying the majority of possession and it was not until the 32nd minute that they got in behind the Panathinaikos defence. Ariel Ortega cut down the right and crossed low for Washington who controlled the ball at the far post before hitting a volley that Antonios Nikopolidis saved bravely at close range.

Fenerbahçe level
The home side's possession was finally made to count three minutes before the break. Neither René Henriksen nor Sotirios Kyrgiakos could cut out Milan Rapaic's low cross from the left which allowed Washington to steal in behind the defence and touch the ball beyond Nikopolidis.

Serhat impresses
Fenerbahçe again controlled proceedings after the break with Ortega increasingly influential in midfield. The introduction of in-form Turkish international Akin Serhat gave the home side a cutting edge up front and on 75 minutes he made a brave dive to reach Johnson's flick only for Nikopolidis to save again.

Nikopolidis saves day
The home side pressed but could not find a way past Nikopolidis. With five minutes to go Akin was again denied by the keeper as he bore down on goal. It was Nikopolidis who had the last word when he made a save on his line to block Fatih Akyel's audacious looping shot from just inside his own half in the dying seconds.

Last updated: 01/11/02 13.39CET