Second round, First leg - 31/10/2002 - 15:00CET (16:00 local time) - GSP Stadium - Nicosia

APOEL - Hertha 0-1 - 31/10/2002 - Match page - UEFA Europa League 2002

The official website for European football

Karwan wins it for Hertha

Published: Thursday 31 October 2002, 20.00CET
APOEL Nicosia FC 0-1 Hertha BSC Berlin A headed goal by Bartosz Karwan wins it for Hertha.
Published: Thursday 31 October 2002, 20.00CET

Karwan wins it for Hertha

APOEL Nicosia FC 0-1 Hertha BSC Berlin A headed goal by Bartosz Karwan wins it for Hertha.

A goal 30 seconds from time ended APOEL Nicosia FC's resistance in Cyprus and put Hertha BSC Berlin firmly on course for the third round of the UEFA Cup.

Karwan winner
The 1. Bundesliga visitors dominated possession throughout but had to wait until two minutes into added time to reap their reward, substitute Bartosz Karwan silencing the majority of the 4,178 crowd at the GSP stadium in Nicosia. "We never stopped believing and didn't quit trying," said Hertha captain Stefan Beinlich. "We won and that's the main thing."

Play lacked zest
Despite enjoying home advantage, APOEL's play lacked the zest which had seen them eliminate Grazer AK, NK Maribor and FC Flora from European competition this season. The absence of Kostakkis Malekkos and Georgos Vakouftsis showed as Marcelinho and Bienlich stylishly patrolled the pitch and caused APOEL countless problems. Michalis Morfis in the home goal denied both players the opening goal with superb first-half saves.

More invention
APOEL showed more invention after the break yet Hertha remained more cutting and created a number of chances. In the 58th minute Bienlich beat Morfis with a header but could only look on disbelievingly as the ball ricocheted to safety off the bar. Belgian international Bart Goor and Fábio Brito were then presented with excellent openings but Morfis was proving a formidable obstabce.

Smart stop
For their part, APOEL created a couple of late chances. Youngster Nektarios Alexandro volleyed over when well placed before Gábor Kiraly in the Hertha goal produced a smart stop from Marios Agathocleous. Hertha, though, deservedly had the final say, Polish international Karwan nipping in ahead of Morfis to a Michael Hartmann centre. Within a minute referee Dermot Gallacher blew the final whistle on the game - and perhaps APOEL's dreams of reaching round three.

Last updated: 31/10/02 22.12CET

  • © 1998-2014 UEFA. All rights reserved.
  • The UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE word, the UEFA Europa League logo and the UEFA Europa League trophy are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of UEFA. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such trade marks. Use of signifies your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.