|Attempts on target||72||41|
|Attempts off target||62||30|
Dick Advocaat will hope FC Zenit St. Petersburg's great home run will negate his poor record against Spanish sides as Villarreal CF come calling.
• Zenit's Dutch coach Advocaat has yet to lead a side to victory against Spanish opponents in seven previous attempts, starting when his Netherlands Under-18 side lost 3-2 at home against Spain back in 1993.
• In total, his record against Spanish sides reads played seven, drawn two and lost five. In the five games in which his side has been at home, he has earned one draw against Spanish opposition and four defeats.
• Zenit remain unbeaten in their last 21 home games in European competition since losing 3-0 against Bologna FC in the UEFA Cup first round in September 1999. Therefore, they have not lost a European home fixture since the turn of the century.
• Villarreal have won all three of their away games in the UEFA Cup this season, scoring twice in each game.
• Zenit, 2007 Russian champions, qualified for the Round of 32 by finishing third in Group A. Villarreal finished top of Group C.
• The two sides have never met in UEFA club competition.
• Zenit have played six games against Spanish opponents, winning one, drawing three and losing two. In their four home games against Spanish sides, they have won once and drawn three times.
• Villarreal have played four games against Russian opponents, winning two, drawing one and losing one. The draw and the defeat came in their two games on Russian soil.
• Villarreal's Uruguayan defender Diego Godín celebrates his 22nd birthday on 16 February.
• Zenit midfielder Vladislav Radimov has some experience of Spanish football having played for Real Zaragoza between 1996 and 2000 interrupted by a 22-game spell with FC Dinamo Moskva in 1999.
• Villarreal host the second leg in Spain on 21 February. The winners of this tie will meet the victors of the tie between Olympique de Marseille and FC Spartak Moskva in the Round of 16 on 6 and 12/13 March, playing the second leg at home.
• There is thus the possibility of an all-Russian Round of 16 encounter between Zenit and Spartak.
• Winter UEFA Cup registrations
Zenit: In - Roman Shirokov, Victor Fayzulin.
Out – Martin Škrtel, Erik Hagen, Philip Postnikov.
Villarreal: In – David Fuster, Edu Caballer.
Out – Juan Román Riquelme, Rio Antonio Mavuba.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.