|Attempts on target||106||14|
|Attempts off target||96||21|
Aberdeen FC are still dreaming of a second famous triumph against FC Bayern München as they travel to Germany in the UEFA Cup Round of 32 level at 2-2.
• Josh Walker and Sone Aluko twice gave Jimmy Calderwood's Aberdeen the lead at Pittodrie only for Miroslav Klose and Hamit Altıntop to ensure that the Bavarians left Scotland with a draw.
• The two teams met in the quarter-finals of the 1982/83 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, with Aberdeen, under Sir Alex Ferguson, beating Pál Csernai's Bayern 3-2 on aggregate.
• The first leg in Munich on 2 March 1983 finished goalless, with Aberdeen twice coming from behind to win 3-2 in the return at Pittodrie.
• Klaus Augenthaler opened the scoring for Bayern but Neil Simpson brought the hosts level before the interval. Hans Pflüger restored Bayern's advantage after 62 minutes but Alex McLeish and substitute John Hewitt struck in the 76th and 77th minutes to seal the win.
• Aberdeen went on to beat Alfredo di Stéfano's Real Madrid CF 2-1 in the final in Gothenburg, with Hewitt scoring the winner in extra time.
• One of the stars of that Aberdeen side, Mark McGhee, would later try his luck in the Bundesliga with Hamburger SV in the 1984/85 season. He now manages Aberdeen's Scottish Premier League rivals Motherwell FC.
• Aberdeen have now played 19 games against German sides, winning five, drawing six and losing eight. They have yet to win in nine games in Germany, drawing twice and losing seven times.
• Bayern have now played 16 matches against Scottish opponents, winning seven, drawing six and losing three. They have never lost at home in eight games against Scottish sides, winning five and drawing three.
• Bayern's Luca Toni is the joint-top scorer in the UEFA Cup with six goals, along with Helsingborg IF's Henrik Larsson and Razak Omotoyossi.
• Jimmy Calderwood's Aberdeen qualified for the Round of 32 by finishing third in Group B. Bayern finished top of Group F.
• Aberdeen have not won in their last five European away games, and have scored only once in those five games – two draws and three defeats.
• Bayern have not lost in their three European home games this season, winning two and drawing one.
• Bayern coach Ottmar Hitzfeld announced during the winter break that he would be standing down at the end of the season when his contract expired. Jürgen Klinsmann will replace him.
• The aggregate winners will meet the victors of the tie between RSC Anderlecht and FC Girondins de Bordeaux in the Round of 16 on 6 and 12/13 March, playing the second leg at home. Anderlecht won the first leg in Belgium 2-1.
• Aberdeen's Michael Hart is within a booking of missing his next UEFA competition game, as are Bayern's Luca Toni and Mark van Bommel.
• Winter UEFA Cup registrations
Aberdeen: In – Dave Bus, Josh Walker, Alan Maybury, Jonathan Crawford.
Out – Michael Hart, Christopher Clark, Jonathan Kurrant, Neil McVitie, Michael Paton, Stuart Smith.
Bayern: In – Breno.
Out – Valérien Ismaël, Mats Hummel.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.