|Attempts on target||73||52|
|Attempts off target||30||0|
Club Atlético de Madrid and Galatasaray AŞ will meet for the first time in 36 years in the UEFA Europa League round of 32, but coaches Frank Rijkaard and Quique Sánchez Flores have plenty of more recent encounters to reflect upon.
• The clubs have not faced each other since substitute Ignacio Salcedo's extra-time goal in Istanbul decided a tense European Champion Clubs' Cup first-round encounter on 3 October 1973. It was the only goal of the tie.
• After Brian Birch's Galatasaray had earned a goalless draw in Spain, Juan Carlos Lorenzo's men won through with Salcedo's 100th-minute strike at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium, going on to reach the European Cup final that season, which they lost 4-0 to FC Bayern München after a replay.
• That Atlético team included future Spain and Fenerbahçe SK coach Luis Aragonés and Manuel Reina, the father of Liverpool FC goalkeeper Pepe.
• The teams for the first leg in Madrid on 19 September 1973 were:
Atlético: Reina, Melo, Panadero, Adelardo Rodríguez (Salcedo, 45), Ovejero, Benegas, Ufarte (Fernández, 59), Aragonés, Gárate, Irureta, Becerra.
Galatasaray: Yasin Özdenak, Ekrem Günalp, Aydın Güleş, Muzaffer Sipahi, Tuncay Temeller, Bülent Ünder, Metin Kurt, Tarık Küpoğlu, Haluk Kargın, Mehmet Oğuz, Şevki Şenlen.
• The last time Atlético won a game in Europe after Christmas was in the 1998/99 UEFA Cup quarter-finals, when they defeated AS Roma 2-1 home and away. They are without a victory in eight springtime continental fixtures, having bowed out of last season's UEFA Champions League first knockout round to FC Porto on away goals following two draws.
• Atlético won none of their UEFA Champions League group stage home games and signed off 2009 with a 3-0 loss to Porto at the Vicente Calderón. Their last home success was a 2-0 victory against Panathinaikos FC in this season's UEFA Champions League play-offs.
• Galatasaray reached the round of 32 in the final two editions of the UEFA Cup, bowing out to Bayer 04 Leverkusen in 2007/08 but overcoming FC Girondins de Bordeaux last season before losing to Hamburger SV in the last 16.
• A 1-0 loss at SK Sturm Graz in their final group game in December ended Galatasaray's ten-match unbeaten away European run, which stretched back to a 1-0 reverse at FC Steaua Bucureşti on 27 August 2008 and featured six wins and four draws.
• Galatasaray coach Rijkaard came up against Atlético ten times in the Spanish Liga during his spell in charge of FC Barcelona. His record against the Rojiblancos was W3 D3 L4 (W1 D2 L2 in Madrid).
• Rijkaard also faced Atlético as a player in 1987/88, his Real Zaragoza side losing 2-0 at La Romareda.
• Rijkaard and Atlético coach Quique Flores met six times when the latter was in charge of Getafe CF (2004/05) and Valencia CF (2005/06 and 2006/07). Each coach recorded two wins, with the other two games drawn.
• Leo Franco has been first-choice goalkeeper at Galatasaray since joining from Atlético in the summer. The Argentinian custodian spent five years at the Vicente Calderón following spells with Mérida CF and RCD Mallorca.
• Milan Baroš and Tomáš Ujfaluši were long-standing colleagues with the Czech Republic national team, having both earned 78 caps for their country. The latter has now retired from international football.
• Ujfaluši was in the Czech team eliminated from UEFA EURO 2008 by Turkey after surrendering a two-goal lead in a 3-2 defeat in Geneva. Arda Turan scored Turkey's first goal in a match that also featured his Galatasaray club-mates Servet Çetin, Hakan Balta and Mehmet Topal.
• As they prepare for their 204th European game, Atlético are four goals shy of their 350th strike in UEFA club competition.
• The tie concludes in Istanbul on 25 February with the winners to face the victors of the tie between Everton and Sporting Clube de Portugal in the round of 16 on 11 and 18 March, playing the first leg at home.
Misses next match if booked: Álvaro Domínguez
Players added to squad: David de Gea, Eduardo Salvio
Players removed from squad: Maxi Rodríguez, Florent Sinama Pongolle, Roberto, Cléber Santana
Misses next match if booked: Emre Aşık, Harry Kewell
Players added to squad: Lucas Neill, Giovani Dos Santos, Sinan Osmanoğlu
Players removed from squad: Tobias Linderoth, Alparslan Erdem, Shabani Nonda, Semih Kaya, Sadrettin Kocaoğlu, Serdar Eylik
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.