|Attempts on target||40||49|
|Attempts off target||36||62|
Sevilla FC are on something of a losing streak as they embark upon their UEFA Europa League Group J campaign, looking to get the better of a Paris Saint-Germain FC side boasting plenty of Spanish experience.
• The teams are meeting for the first time in UEFA club competition.
• Three games against LOSC Lille Métropole represent the entirety of Sevilla's experience of French opposition, with their record reading W1 D0 L2 (W1 D0 L0 at home).
• PSG have played 12 matches against Spanish teams in Europe, including a 1-0 defeat by FC Barcelona in the 1996/97 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final in Rotterdam, in which they were the nominal away team. Their record in those games reads W5 D3 L4 (W2 D1 L3 away, including that final on neutral territory).
• Sevilla are without a win in four European games – a draw and three defeats – and last tasted victory with a 1-0 UEFA Champions League group stage triumph against Rangers FC on 9 December 2009.
• Veterans of four previous UEFA Cup group stage campaigns – during which they lifted the trophy twice – Sevilla have failed to win only one of their home group phase games in the competition, losing 2-1 to AZ Alkmaar on 14 December 2006.
• PSG, by contrast, have not won in four group stage away games, recording three 0-0 draws and a 3-1 loss at FC Schalke 04 on 23 October 2008.
• The French side have lost their last two European ties on their travels.
• Sevilla coach Antonio Álvarez was born in nearby Marchena and came through the Andalusian club's youth ranks, spending 13 years in the first team as a central defender. He only hung up his boots at the age of 40 following spells at Málaga CF and Granada CF. Assistant coach when Sevilla won two UEFA Cups and a Spanish Cup, he became the club's director of football in 2008, taking over as coach in March 2010, and promptly winning the 2009/10 Spanish Cup.
• Antoine Kombouaré was hired as PSG coach in May 2009, finishing his first full season by leading his side to success in the 2009/10 French Cup. Initially a defender for FC Nantes, the New Caledonia-born player represented PSG from 1990 to 1995, winning a league title, two French Cups and a League Cup before moving on to FC Sion, then Aberdeen FC. PSG's reserve coach for a while, he trained RC Strasbourg and then Valenciennes FC before returning to his old club.
• Sevilla boast French talent in the form of centre-back Julien Escudé and right-backs Abdoulay Konko and Mouhamadou Dabo.
• Sevilla's Ndri Romaric (Le Mans UC 72, 2005-08), Didier Zokora (AS Saint-Etienne, 2004-06), Luis Fabiano (Stade Rennais FC, 2000-02) and Frédéric Kanouté (Olympique Lyonnais, 1997-2000) have all played in France.
• PSG keeper Grégory Coupet (Club Atlético de Madrid, 2008-09) played in Spain as did Claude Makelele (RC Celta de Vigo, 1998-2000; Real Madrid CF 2000-04), Ludovic Giuly (FC Barcelona, 2004-07), Péguy Luyindula (UD Levante 2006-07), Mateja Kežman (Atlético, 2005-06) and Nenê (RCD Mallorca 2003-04; Deportivo Alavés 2004-06; RC Celta de Vigo 2006-07; RCD Espanyol 2008-09).
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.