|Attempts on target||62||12|
|Attempts off target||62||16|
PSV Eindhoven will look to end a dismal record against Scottish sides – and avenge a landmark European defeat – as Rangers FC return to the Netherlands in the UEFA Europa League round of 16.
• PSV have yet to win in four matches against Rangers. John Greig's Light Blues eliminated Kees Rijvers' PSV in the 1978/79 European Champion Clubs' Cup second round with a 3-2 win in Eindhoven after a 0-0 draw at Ibrox. Then a Rangers side coached by former PSV boss Dick Advocaat beat an Erik Gerets-led PSV twice in the 1999/2000 UEFA Champions League first group stage.
• That 3-2 win – secured by a late Bobby Russell goal – handed PSV their first ever European home defeat after a 29-game unbeaten run.
• The teams for that match on 1 November 1978 were:
PSV: Van Engelen, Deijkers, Stevens, Brandts, Poortvliet, Lubse, René van de Kerkhof, Willy van de Kerkhof, Van Kraay, Krijgh (Smits 79), Janssen.
Rangers: McCloy, Jardine, Alex Forsyth, Tom Forsyth, Johnstone, McDonald, McLean, Russell, Parlane, Smith, Watson.
• The teams for their most recent Eindhoven meeting, a 1-0 win for the visitors on 28 September 1999, were:
PSV: Waterreus, Dirkx, Heintze, Khokhlov, Van Nistelrooy, Nilis, Van der Doelen (Bruggink 80), Rommedahl (Kolkka 63), Nikiforov, Stîngă (Bouma* 68), Wielaert.
Rangers: Charbonnier, Porrini, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Mols, Wallace, Reyna (Albertz 24), McCann.
*eligible to play in this game.
• Current PSV player Wilfred Bouma came on as a 68th-minute substitute in the sides' second meeting in Eindhoven.
• PSV have never won a game against a Scottish side, recording a draw and a defeat against Dundee United FC in addition to their three losses and a draw against Rangers. Their overall record against Scottish opponents reads W0 D2 L4 (W0 D0 L3 in Eindhoven).
• Rangers' record against PSV contrasts with their overall record against Dutch teams, which reads W5 D3 L8 (W3 D0 L4 in the Netherlands).
• Rangers have not won in their last three games against Dutch opponents, following up a draw with two defeats.
• PSV are unbeaten in nine UEFA Europa League games since opening their 2010/11 campaign with a 1-0 loss at FC Sibir Novosibirsk. They have not been beaten in 11 European home matches (nine wins and two draws) since a 3-1 UEFA Champions League group stage loss to Liverpool FC on 9 December 2008.
• Rangers are without a win in six European games (four draws and two defeats) since beating Bursaspor 1-0 at Ibrox in the UEFA Champions League in the autumn. They have not won in ten matches on the road (six draws and four defeats, including the 2008 UEFA Cup final which they lost 2-0 to FC Zenit St Petersburg in Manchester) since they beat Sporting Clube de Portugal 2-0 in the UEFA Cup quarter-finals on 10 April 2008.
• Liverpool FC won the UEFA Cup three times (in 1973, 1976 and 2001) and are thus the most successful side left in this season's competition, though PSV (1978), Bayer 04 Leverkusen (1988), AFC Ajax (1992), FC Porto (2003), PFC CSKA Moskva (2005) and Zenit (2008) have also won it.
• Of the sides left in the last 16, FC Twente (1975), SL Benfica (1983) and Rangers (2008) have all been on the losing side in UEFA Cup finals.
• Rangers enjoyed a successful spell under Advocaat, who left PSV for Ibrox in 1998, bringing Eindhoven favourite Arthur Numan with him.
• Rangers' eliminated Sporting in the round of 32; every time Rangers have beaten Sporting (as they did in the 1971/72 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and the 2007/08 UEFA Cup) they have gone on to reach a European final.
• PSV have committed more fouls, 132, than any other side left in the competition.
• Rangers are three goals shy of their 100th in the UEFA Cup and UEFA Europa League; this will be their 73rd game in the competition.
©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.