The captain of FC Rubin Kazan, the club with whom he has spent the bulk of his career, Roman Sharonov received an out-of-the-blue call-up to Russia's UEFA EURO 2012 squad having not represented his country for almost eight years. A composed and experienced defender, he can play at right-back or in the centre.
• A native Muscovite, he started out at FC Lokomotiv Moskva but only represented the club's second team before, at 21, he tried his luck in China with Shanghai Fuabo FC.
• Returned to Russia and helped FC Metallurg Krasnoyarsk win promotion to the second tier before joining Rubin; spent four seasons in that division with the Kazan club, eventually achieving promotion to the Premier-Liga in 2002.
• Established himself in the top flight over the next two years and won his first Russia cap in March 2004 – in a 2-2 draw against Bulgaria in Sofia – before travelling to Portugal for UEFA EURO 2004, where he was sent off in the opening game against Spain (0-1).
• Profile faded after a 2005 move to FC Terek Grozny, who finished bottom of the Premier-Liga and were relegated; spent the next two seasons in the second tier, the second of them with champions FC Shinnik Yaroslavl, making 34 appearances in the club's title-winning campaign.
• Back at Rubin for the start of the 2008 season, which would end with the Tatarstantsi's first Russian title, his contribution being 26 starts and one goal; retained the crown in 2009 (25 appearances, two goals) and made five starts in UEFA Champions League but missed most of 2010 through injury before returning in style in 2011/12, his efforts being rewarded with a surprise international recall.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 20/05/2013 02:14 CET|
|23.07.2012||Russian Premier League||Krasnodar||2-1||Rubin||90||0||0|
|25.08.2012||Russian Premier League||Zenit||1-2||Rubin||13||0||0|
|15.09.2012||Russian Premier League||Lokomotiv Moskva||1-0||Rubin||45||0||0|
|20.09.2012||UEFA Europa League||Group stage||Internazionale||2-2||Rubin||90||0||0|
|23.09.2012||Russian Premier League||Rubin||1-0||Kuban||90||0||0|
|26.09.2012||Russian Cup||Fifth round||Yenisey||2-1||Rubin||90||0||0|
|21.10.2012||Russian Premier League||CSKA Moskva||2-0||Rubin||90||0||0|
|28.10.2012||Russian Premier League||Rubin||2-1||Anji||90||0||0|
|03.11.2012||Russian Premier League||Mordovia||1-3||Rubin||90||0||0|
|11.11.2012||Russian Premier League||Rubin||2-0||Krylya Sovetov||90||1||0|
|17.11.2012||Russian Premier League||Alania||0-2||Rubin||90||0||0|
|22.11.2012||UEFA Europa League||Group stage||Rubin||3-0||Internazionale||90||0||0|
|26.11.2012||Russian Premier League||Rubin||0-0||Volga||90||0||0|
|01.12.2012||Russian Premier League||Dinamo Moskva||3-0||Rubin||90||0||0|
|06.12.2012||UEFA Europa League||Group stage||Partizan||1-1||Rubin||90||0||0|
|10.12.2012||Russian Premier League||Rubin||0-1||Spartak Moskva||90||0||0|
|14.02.2013||UEFA Europa League||Round of 32||Atlético||0-2||Rubin||45||0||0|
|07.03.2013||UEFA Europa League||Round of 16||Levante||0-0||Rubin||90||0||0|
|10.03.2013||Russian Premier League||Rubin||1-0||Zenit||1||0||0|
|14.03.2013||UEFA Europa League||Round of 16||Rubin||2-0|
|30.03.2013||Russian Premier League||Rubin||2-0||Lokomotiv Moskva||90||0||0|
|04.04.2013||UEFA Europa League||Quarter-finals||Chelsea||3-1||Rubin||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|