The UEFA Europa League comprises three qualifying rounds, a play-off round, a group stage and five knockout rounds.
In matches in the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, clubs play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis. The club which scores the greater aggregate of goals qualifies for the next round, with away goals and then penalties used to determine the winner in the event of a draw.
The play-off round winners join the ten losers from the UEFA Champions League play-offs and automatic entrants. The clubs are split into 12 groups of four teams, playing home and away against each of their pool opponents between September and December. Two sides from each section advance, proceeding into the round of 32 alongside eight third-placed teams from the UEFA Champions League group stage.
From the last 32 until the semi-finals, clubs play two games against each other on a home-and-away basis with the same rules as the qualifying and play-off rounds applied. In the last 32, group winners and the four third-placed sides from the UEFA Champions League with the best records are seeded, guaranteeing they will play the second leg at home. Teams from the same group or the same association cannot be drawn together. From the round of 16 onwards the draw is free.
The final is decided by a single match, which this season will be played at the Juventus Arena, Turin on Wednesday 14 May 2014.
Further details, including the criteria for separating teams that finish level on points in a group, can be found in the official competition regulations.
UEFA Capacity: 56,070
Tenants: Polish national team
Opened: January 2012
• Staged the opening game of UEFA EURO 2012, Poland's 1-1 draw with Greece, the first of three group matches. Also hosted the quarter-final between Portugal and Czech Republic, and the semi-final between Germany and Italy.
• Located on the eastern banks of the Vistula in the district of Praga Poludnie, its red-and-white facade resembles a waving Polish flag and it was designed by JSK Architekci, the company behind the Municipal Stadium Wroclaw.
• The last UEFA EURO 2012 venue to be completed, it opened with a big concert on 29 January 2012 and a month later hosted its first match as Poland drew 0-0 with Portugal. After EURO it will host American Football's Polish Bowl, and concerts by Madonna and Coldplay.
• The National Stadium is on the site of the old Tenth Anniversary Stadium which since 1989 had been home to a bazaar.
• The old venue, partly constructed using rubble collected from the site of the Warsaw Uprising, had stood since 1955. Primarily a football stadium, it also hosted athletics, cycling and, in 1983, Pope John Paul II gave mass to a congregation of 100,000.
• The last international at the old venue took place in April 1983 when an own goal from future Poland national team coach Paweł Janas restricted the hosts to a 1-1 UEFA European Championship qualifying draw with Finland.
|2014/15 UEFA Europa League access list|
This list is provisional and subject to final confirmation from UEFA
|N/A||Fair Play |
|UCL 15 teams (Q3)||Holders|
UCL 10 teams (PO)
|17||Czech Republic||RU N3||CW|
|19||Israel||CW RU N3|
|20||Belarus||CW RU N3|
|21||Poland||CW RU N3|
|33||Finland||CW RU N3|
|34||Bosnia and Herzegovina||CW RU N3|
|35||Moldova||CW RU N3|
|36||Republic of Ireland||CW RU N3|
|37||Lithuania||CW RU N3|
|38||Kazakhstan||CW RU N3|
|39||Latvia||CW RU N3|
|40||Iceland||CW RU N3|
|41||Montenegro||CW RU N3|
|42||FYROM||CW RU N3|
|43||Albania||CW RU N3|
|44||Malta||CW RU N3|
|46||Luxembourg||CW RU N3|
|47||Northern Ireland||CW RU N3|
|48||Wales||CW RU N3|
|49||Estonia||CW RU N3|
|50||Armenia||CW RU N3|
|51||Faroe Islands||CW RU N3|
|52||San Marino||CW RU|
Q1: First qualifying round
Q2: Second qualifying round
Q3: Third qualifying round
PO: Play-off round
CW: Cup winners
RU: Domestic league runners-up
N3: Domestic league third-placed side
N4: Domestic league fourth-placed side
N5: Domestic league fifth-placed side
N6: Domestic league sixth-placed side
Last updated: 10 October 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.