A total of 48 clubs are involved in the group stage draw.
13:00CET, Friday 25 August, Grimaldi Forum, Monaco
- The 48 entrants are split into four seeding pots based on their club coefficients, with each of the eventual 12 groups to contain one team from each seeding tier.
- The 22 play-off winners, the ten losing teams from the UEFA Champions League play-offs and the 16 sides entering at this stage make up the 48 clubs that go into the group stage draw at the Grimaldi Forum.
- No team can play a club from their own association, with the exact draw procedure confirmed before the ceremony.
- Matches will be held on 14 and 28 September, 19 October, 2 and 23 November, and 7 December.
- The UEFA Europa League Player of the 2016/17 season award will also be presented during the ceremony.