Vitória SC come into Group I on a poor run of form in Europe, while first-night visitors Salzburg are aiming to make it ten continental games unbeaten.
Article top media content
This week, football fans watching UEFA Europa League matches in stadiums, online and on TV will witness the premiere of the new UEFA RESPECT TV ads, called #EqualGame. The adverts feature Ada Hegerberg, Lionel Messi, Paul Pogba, Cristiano Ronaldo and amateur players and will run throughout the season to promote inclusion, diversity and accessibility in European Football with the motto "Everyone has the right to enjoy football, no matter who you are, where you're from, or how you play." More information on the campaign and on the advertisements can be found in the accompanying media release and on the campaign website: www.equalgame.com.
Vitória SC come into UEFA Europa League Group I on a poor run of form in Europe; in contrast, first-night visitors Salzburg aim to make it ten continental games unbeaten.
• These clubs are meeting for the first time in UEFA competition.
• In Vitória SC's only previous encounter with an Austrian side, they were beaten 2-1 away and 4-1 at home by Altach in the 2015/16 UEFA Europa League third qualifying round. That was their last European tie until Thursday.
• Salzburg's only past meeting with Portuguese opponents was a 1993/94 UEFA Cup third-round tie against Sporting CP; they lost 2-0 away but won the return leg 3-0 after extra time and eventually reached the final.
• Vitória SC are without a victory in seven European matches (D2 L5), including defeats in their last three home fixtures.
• Salzburg, in comparison, are unbeaten in nine in Europe (W6 D3), including five away games (W3 D2).
• Fourth in the Liga and runners-up in the Portuguese Cup last season, Vitória SC are participating in their third UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League group stage. They have yet to make it through.
• Austrian champions, and 1994 UEFA Cup runners-up, Salzburg missed the cut in last year's UEFA Europa League group stage, after succeeding in their previous three attempts.
• Along with FCSB, Salzburg are in a record seventh UEFA Europa League group stage and hold the record for this round of points (71) and goals (63). They are the only team to record a maximum 18 points twice (2009/10 and 2013/14).
Links and trivia
• The journey from Salzburg to Guimaraes is around 1,800km.
• Vitória SC have played 58 UEFA matches; Salzburg have played 160.
• Salzburg won last season's UEFA Youth League, beating Benfica in the final.
• Vitória SC coach since summer 2016, Pedro Martins previously led Marítimo (2012/13) and Rio Ave (2014/15) in this competition's group stage. A former Guimarães midfielder, he was capped once during his time at Sporting CP (1995–98).
• Previously youth-team boss, Marco Rose stepped up to the Salzburg helm after predecessor Óscar García left in June. A defender with home-town club Leipzig, Hannover and Mainz, he has been on Salzburg's staff since 2013.