A great Group J result on matchday two has given Zorya reason for confidence as they welcome a Hertha Berlin side who have yet to score in the section.
A great UEFA Europa League Group J result on matchday two has given Zorya reason for confidence as they welcome a Hertha Berlin side who have yet to score in the section.
• The teams are meeting for the first time; Hertha's goalless draw at home to Metalist Kharkiv in the 2008/09 UEFA Cup group stage is the only time either club has faced opponents from their rivals' home country.
• The last four UEFA games held in Ukraine between clubs from these nations have ended in draws – a 2-2 and then three 0-0s, with Shakhtar the home side on all four occasions.
• Zorya are without a win in five European home fixtures (D2 L3), but claimed a shock 1-0 victory at Athletic Club on matchday two.
• Hertha have yet to score in two Group J matches, and have lost their last three European away games – only one of them this season.
• Third in the 2016/17 Ukrainian table, Zorya are featuring in their second successive group stage, though they were unable to make the UEFA Europa League round of 32 last term.
• Sixth in Germany last season, Hertha got through the UEFA Europa League group stage on their most recent appearance, in 2009/10, but were knocked out in last year's third qualifying round.
Trivia and links
• The journey from Berlin to Lviv, where Zorya are playing their European home matches, is around 800km.
• Hertha's Salomon Kalou was a 2011/12 UEFA Champions League winner with Chelsea.
• Misses next match if booked: Vedad Ibišević (Hertha).
• Yuriy Vernydub has been in charge at Zorya since stepping up from his role as assistant coach in November 2011, leading them to fourth and third-placed finishes in the last two seasons. He was a Russian Cup winner as a Zenit defender in 1999.
• Pál Dárdai joined Hertha as a player in 1997 and made a club-record 366 league appearances for Die Alte Dame. He coached Hertha's youth team – and Hungary's senior side – for a time before taking the main Hertha helm in 2015.