Atlético will take on Real Madrid or Liverpool in the 2018 UEFA Super Cup on 15 August in Tallinn.
Article top media content
Atlético have lined up a UEFA Super Cup meeting with Real Madrid or Liverpool on 15 August in the 2018 UEFA Super Cup, to be staged at the Lilleküla Stadium in Tallinn, Estonia.
• Atlético have a 100% record in the UEFA Super Cup, winning the 2010 and 2012 editions as UEFA Europa League holders. They overcame Inter Milan 2-0 in 2010 and Chelsea 4-1 in 2012.
• The Colchoneros have met Real Madrid nine times in UEFA competition with the record W2 D2 L5, though they have yet to beat their city rivals in a final or to eliminate them from a UEFA competition.
• Four of the last five editions of the UEFA Super Cup have been contested by two Spanish sides, but an all-Madrid final would be a first. Madrid would also be the first city to have a UEFA Super Cup derby.
• Atlético's record in four games against Liverpool is W1 D2 L1; the teams drew 1-1 twice in the 2008/09 UEFA Champions League group stage, and Atlético eliminated the Reds on away goals (agg: 2-2) to reach the 2010 UEFA Europa League final.
• Atlético midfielder Saúl Ñíguez played at the Lilleküla Stadium several times with Spain during the 2012 UEFA European Under-19 Championship – but missed his country's 1-0 final victory against Greece through injury.
• The game will be the first European club final held in Estonia, which also hosted the 2012 UEFA European Under-19 Championship. The year 2018 marks the centenary of the creation of the Republic of Estonia.
• Tallinn follows in the footsteps of Prague (2013), Cardiff (2014), Tbilisi (2015), Trondheim (2016) and Skopje (2017) as cities to be awarded the UEFA Super Cup since the fixture switched from its once permanent home of Monaco. The decision to play the match in Tallinn was made at a UEFA Executive Committee meeting in Athens in September 2016.
• The ground – also known for sponsorship reasons as A Le Coq Arena – has a capacity of 10,000, which is set to be expanded for the 2018 UEFA Super Cup.